VMware Communities
Zirbelholz
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 to 10 upgrade SVGA 3D problems help

I have jsut attempted to upgrade Windows to 10 (Macbook 15" retina, VMWare Fusion 11.5.1). I think I overrode the error message that my device is not compatible with Windows 10 because of display problems with SVGA. That is, I may have installed Windows 10 but the display is wrong and won't show me the information I need to install it.

From reading around in this forum - a lot of 2015 messages included - I thought I could manually uninstall VmWare Tools through the library, but Application Support is not showing me VmWare Tools, only VmWare. Should there not be a VmWare Tools folder there?

Could someone please tell me what I could try now, or give me links to information? Many thanks in advance.

6 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Do you want to remove the "Vmware Tools" folder from your Windows 10 computer? if so, you should look at this path:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\

first check if the vmware Tools service is still running, stop it.

pastedImage_0.png

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

...in addition to the previous answer

Unable to select actual resolution of display w/VMware SVGA 3D driver

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Zirbelholz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I really don't know what I'm doing. I was only looking on the Mac side - I don't see how to access the C drive. All I have under VmWare is a messed-up graphic. Maybe I haven't even installed it - but it lets me log in and it has installed some updates. It asks me to choose a language but won't let me accept it (currently all in German, I want to change to English but that isn't the problem).

Should I be reinstalling some other way? I bought a new Windows 10 Pro. 

0 Kudos
Zirbelholz
Contributor
Contributor

I saw this article but I cannot find where to enter the text - I know where it was under Win 7, but I just don't get any list of programs etc. Will try to attach a screenshot.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

IIRC then the trick is to disable 3D for a bit and then uninstall, reboot & reinstall VMware Tools within the guest.

If that doesn't help.. try to boot Windows 10 in safe mode.

You are not mentioning it, but did you already change the guest OS in the VM settings to Windows 10?

FWIW, for others reading this topic I did write an article about upgrading a VM from Windows 7 to Windows 10 here:

https://www.vimalin.com/blog/windows-7-to-windows-10-upgrade/

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Zirbelholz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I have only just seen this after replying about what I did. I really think I had not installed properly. I had indeed changed the 7 x 64 to 10 x 64 but no idea if I was doing this properly.

I have now done a proper installation and everything looks fine.

Yesterday and this morning, I seemed to be uninstalling the Tools and reinstalling, but it didn't help. So then I wanted to 'manually uninstall' but I could not find anywhere to do that.

I have looked at your article now and it doesn't seem to be my situation. My error message was (in German) 'This device is not compatible with Windows 10. ... In Windows 10 there are problems with the display'.

I don't suppose I conveyed my problem here properly, but thanks to those who tried to help.

0 Kudos