VMware Communities
RayButler
Contributor
Contributor

Win 10 VM grabs DOUBLE the RAM allocated in Fusion Player 12.2.1

I'm using:

• Fusion Player 12.2.1
  • Mac Mini (2018-model 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7) with 64 GB RAM and Big Sur.

I allocated 24 GB RAM and 4 (of 12) cores to the Win 10 VM.

But when it runs, the vmware-vmx process on the host Mac uses ~ 47.5 GB of the 64 GB RAM.

This is suspiciously close to 2x the 24 GB that I allocated in the VM settings!

I see others reporting that Fusion 12.2.1 crippled their VM's performance...could this RAM demand be the underlying reason?

Win 10 VM ~ 47.5 GB; High Sierra VM ~ 15.5 GBWin 10 VM ~ 47.5 GB; High Sierra VM ~ 15.5 GB

I also run a macOS High Sierra VM (for some legacy 32-bit programs). I allocated 16 GB RAM and its vmware-vmx process never exceeds 16 GB. This is the expected, correct behaviour. Only the Win 10 VM has the RAM-doubling issue.

Ray

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Is your Mac complaining about “memory pressure”? The graph below this per process display in the Activity Monitor would be trending toward yellow or red indicating excessive paging/swapping. If that happens then memory contention is impacting performance .

Also you have 6 physical cores in that Mac Mini, not 12. Best practice is to allocate vCPUs to a VM based on the number of physical cores, not hyperthreaded cores. Otherwise you risk over subscribing CPU resources. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What virtual hardware version do you have configured for your VM?  Also see this thread https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/VM-s-using-double-RAM-then-assigned/td-p...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos