VMware Communities
sylpha
Contributor
Contributor

Win 10 Guest OS shutdown out of sudden

Host: Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7

Guest: Win 10 20H2

Fusion version: 12.1.0

Issues: The guest get randomly shutdown (it happens very often and the host and guest were not under heavy load most of the time). The guest will normally freeze for 1-2 seconds then shutdown completely. Tried to install all the latest patch on the guest but does not help. It does not have any issues before fusion version 12.X....

Attached the log file, appreciated if someone could provide some advice. Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Is this windows guest a Windows trial version?

If so, then this is typical behavior once Windows is no longer activated.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sylpha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

No it's not trial...I got a license for my win 10.

0 Kudos
sylpha
Contributor
Contributor

does anyone else got the same issue?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

It looks like it crashed on the keyboard thread after the keyboard device (Majestouch Convertible 2) was added back.

2020-12-20T11:28:38.066+08:00| keyboard| I005: MKS MacOSKeyboard: Removing device: VID:0A5C PID:8502 Unknown (Majestouch Convertible 2)

2020-12-20T11:59:05.105+08:00| keyboard| I005: MKS MacOSKeyboard: Adding device: VID:0A5C PID:8502 Unknown (Majestouch Convertible 2)

2020-12-20T11:59:24+08:00[+5.265]| keyboard| W003: Caught signal 11 -- tid 2251445 (addr 10C98FA30)2020-12-

The keyboard was removed at 11:28:38 but added back at 11:59:24. I can only assume that the keyboard got removed after some idle period within the VM. How is the keyboard connected to the host and/or guest? Is it via Bluetooth or USB? You could try turning off power management of USB/Bluetooth device at the Windows 10 power settings in the VM first. I don't use an external keyboard with my MacBook Pro so I don't see any USB power saving settings but you could also look at that the macOS level to prevent disconnection/power saving after some idle period.

sylpha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bluefirestorm,

Thanks for picking this up. Yes the Majestouch Convertible 2 connects to my mac via Bluetooth.

But in my VM guest, the keyboard shows as a normal PS2 keyboard...I can't find anything particular to disable on it.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Great find bluefirestorm, as usual.

In that case it might be this:

The VM is crashing while it is attempting to sync the virtual machine keyboard's Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs with the host's physical keyboards, so another possible workaround is to quit Fusion and edit the .vmx file to add:

mks.keyboard.setHostLEDs = "FALSE"

to the virtual machine's configuration, but then your external keyboard LEDs will no longer reflect the VM's keyboard state.

see also: Problem when host (Mac) is going to sleep

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
sylpha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, will try this out.

0 Kudos