VMware Communities
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Win 10 Display Ugly

I'm running Fusion 8.1.1 on OSX El Capitan. I had been running Win 8.1 and "upgraded" to Windows 10 yesterday. Everything works except that when I resize the VM to take advantage of real estate on the 27" iMac, the display of everything in the Windows Desktop is ugly looking. For that matter, most of the stuff displayed is lots larger than it should and larger than it was with Windows 8.1.

Is there a setting I'm not seeing that will give me a nice crisp display like I'm used to?

Thanks, Jim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A couple updates to my original post. Firstly, I also have a MacBook Pro with Retina, and the display of Windows 10 there is great, no matter what size I make the VM window. Same version of VMware, same version of Windows.

Secondly, on this "ugly" display on the iMac, the highest resolution it allows me to set is 1152 x 864. When I accept that, the VM guest window shrinks down and the display looks nice. But if I then grab a corner and resize the window, it gets ugly again. It did not do that before the upgrade. Arrghhhhh.....

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

My first instinct would be to try uninstalling and then reinstalling VMware Tools. Here is what I would try:

* Save your work in Windows 10.

* Make a snapshot of your virtual machine. You can revert back if it doesn't work.

* In Windows 10, log in using an administrator account (it may be your only account).

* In Windows 10, run Settings, then choose System, then choose Apps & features ... or simply type "Apps & features" in the Cortana search box.

* Scroll down the list of apps until you see VMware Tools. (You can also enter "VMware" in the "Type an app name" box.)

* Select VMware Tools using your mouse. "Modify" and "Uninstall" buttons will appear.

* Click the Uninstall button. VMware Tools will be uninstalled from Windows 10.

* Reboot the Windows 10 virtual machine, then login with the administrator account. The display will NOT be very good.

* From the VMware Fusion Virtual Machine menu on your host Mac computer, choose "Install VMware Tools". The installer will run in Windows 10.

* Reboot the Windows 10 virtual machine once more.

See if that fixes your problem. If something goes wrong, revert to the previously saved snapshot. If everything goes right, you can decide when to delete the snapshot to save disk space.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you change the Guest OS type to Windows 10 and uninstall + re-install VMware tools?

Did you adjust the setting for 'use full screen resolution on retina displays'? (VM Settings > display)

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos