VMware Communities
infobleep
Contributor
Contributor

Will a VMWare Fusion 4 get released within the next 12 months?

Dear all

I am currently in a position to purchase VMWare Fusion but was wondering if a major release is likely in the next year? I ask because their is an option to receive major version releases launched during your 12-month  subscription period.

However the key here is the 12-month subscription period. Should no major release happen in the period then I've wasted the extra money. I only wish to spend extra money if I can be fairly certain I'll get a return on that investment. Otherwise I'll stick to just buying version 3.1.2 alone. I'm not interested in wildly speculating if that makes sense.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
16 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The most information anyone can provide is to point you at this historical timeline. Employees are not allowed to comment on unannounced products/timelines/features/etc. Anyone else would either not know or be under NDA.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The most information anyone can provide is to point you at this historical timeline.

Then VMware Fusion 4 should have already been released! Smiley Wink

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I would guess (and it's only a guess) that we'll see Fusion 4, with Lion Support sometime within a month or so of it's release.

The real question is if we'll see a 3.2 that supports Lion, or if the ugprade will be required.

infobleep
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your replies.

I've come across the page giving the lifecycle details:

http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/pers_desktop_eol.html

Going by what is on that page, if VMWare do not release a major version by this coming October, then their latest release of Fusion will no longer be supported. I can't believe that VMWare would want to be selling software that they do not officially support, which means a new version must be coming fairly soon or they will have to amend their lifecycle terms and conditions.

Kind regards

PS I had wanted to make all the answers helpful but after marking 2 helpful, it appears I can only mark an answer correct. They are all helpful and more than one correct, hense the preference to making them helpful.

0 Kudos
infobleep
Contributor
Contributor

An additional note to this. Having read everything, I decided I might purcahse Fusion 3.1. However the online store doesn't like my login details. So next I reset my passward, even though I had used it to login in to the discussion forum. That made no difference. I even reset it to the password I had already been using.

Next I tried to create a new account using the same e-mail address and it said it was already in use so that wasn't allowed. Of course it's in use, I'm using it but VMWare wouldn't let me login using it.

After this I decided to give UK sales a ring but I've had no response after 20 minutes of so of being on the phone. I guess they are extremly busy serving custmors in other parts of the world.

All of this has lead me to consider trying out Parallels to see what that is like, as I have work to do this evening rather than spare time to wait for VMWare to respond to my on-line ordering problems. So with VMWare having a 20 minute head start, I downloaded Paralells and set about looking into how I can convert the image from Fusion to Parallels.

I got to the top of being able to convert the image from Fusion to Parallels but I needed to free some disk space. So I left my computer to move the Fusion Windows 7 disk image. Whilst is was happening I had already been on hold for 1 hour and 12 minutes. However as I needed to get some sleep I couldn't carry on this race, so I had to terminate my call to VMWare. I will simply install convert the image from Fusion to Parallels tomorrow and if I like it, hope that Parallels will allow me to purchase their software. I have no doubt that had I stayed on hold, I would have had Parallels up and running before someone from VMWare's sales team answered my call.

Kind regards

Message was edited by: infobleep to provide additional information.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

infobleep wrote:

An additional note to this. Having read everything, I decided I might purcahse Fusion 3.1. However the online store doesn't like my login details. So next I reset my passward, even though I had used it to login in to the discussion forum. That made no difference. I even reset it to the password I had already been using.

Oh I think I have seen some similar dreaded account issues, been bitten by it more as once.

You can actually have more as one account - problems like yours caused me to setup more as one- , but you will need a new email address for each one. Switching between accounts the platform doesn't like.

Probably too late for you, but try to shut down the browser (quit, not just close a tab) if you have account issues, preferable logging out before quitting the browser too.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your problem was just discussed during the monthly moderator meeting.

Someone will look into your problem with the store account, it appears to have something to do with the single sign on system.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
infobleep
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

I have more than 1 e-mail address but I refused to give out another one as I didn't want multiple accounts. It's great that the issue is being discussed because clearly their is an issue somewhere which needs to be resolved.

I was very close to switch products. The only thing that stopped me was the fact my VMWare Fusion Windows 7 image was only suspeneded and not fully shut down. Thus it wouldn't convert. Of course had the sales team answered the phone then I wouldn't have even gone as far as to testing Parallels.

Eventually I tried going down the route of tehcnical support - lisence issues department and they asnwered straight away, which compared to 1 hour 20 minutes, where in that case I gave up on the phone, s amazing,

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Kenneth868
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If employee are not allowed than make someone to do so. It is incomprehensive for acompany like yours not having a roadmap, planning or whatsoever for your products. After months of despairs with Fusion 3 nothing have changed, customers still complaining and the vmware still insisting on dummy customers theory.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It is incomprehensive for acompany like yours not having a roadmap, planning or whatsoever for your products.

I'm quite sure the VMware have the appropriate road maps and planning in place and they just do not release that information to the public and they are not the only ones that act in that manner.  Apple doesn't tell the public everything that their planning, how do you think they managed to pull off what they have with products like the iPod, iPhone and now iPad!?  They kept and continue to keep their mouth shut till the appropriate time! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I don't know, Fusion 3 has been rock-solid stable for myself and thousands (literally) of other users at my company.  I suspect that there's a small, but vocal, minority of users who fall into your category.

0 Kudos
Kenneth868
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratulations for your luck but my clients are telling me just the opposite. More and more

who have a chance to play with Fusion 2 and alternative products are refusing to use version 3.

Just look at this discussion forum and you will see how small, vocal and minority are these users.

0 Kudos
Kenneth868
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apple doesn't tell the public everything that their planning, how do you think they managed to pull off what they have with products like the iPod, iPhone and now iPad!?  They kept and continue to keep their mouth shut till the appropriate time! Smiley Wink

WoodyZ,

Completely agree with you about Apple.

For Fusion the situation is a little bit different. Personally I think it was a great product until  I've upgrade to version 3.

It was my least pleasant experience with VMware product.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Completely agree with you about Apple.

For Fusion the situation is a little bit different.

There is no difference and if you what to think so that's fine with me but I can tell you that in the last 10 years VMware's policy in this respect hasn't changed and it is the way it is so get used to it.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 3 was released more than 18 months ago.  How are people 'getting a chance to play with Fusion 2' when it hasn't been available since then?  Are you providing copies to your "clients"?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

dlhotka wrote:

Fusion 3 was released more than 18 months ago.  How are people 'getting a chance to play with Fusion 2' when it hasn't been available since then?  Are you providing copies to your "clients"?

It's very simple, download VMware Fusion 2.0.7 or later version of 2.x directly from VMware and use a VMware Fusion 3.x or 2.x  Serial Number! Smiley Wink

From the VMware Fusion 2.0.7 Release Notes EN.

VMware Fusion 2.0.7 accepts 20-character license keys from 2.0.x and 25-character license keys from VMware Fusion 3.X.
    For customers who bought VMware Fusion 3.x, but still want to use VMware  Fusion 2.0.7 in their production environment, the VMware Fusion 2.0.7  licensing mechanism can now accept and interpret a 25-character 3.x key  along with the 20-character key from version 2.0.x.

0 Kudos