VMware Communities
gudmund20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Will a Fusion 7 VM work straight off in a version of Fusion needed for running on Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave?

I'm travelling and my faithful Macbook Pro late 2011 broke down. No intermediate computers available that could be used for transition. I'll have to step straight from Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite + Fusion 7(1.3?) to Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave + Fusion X.X on a brand new Macbook, ASAP.

If I'm lucky, the internal SSD survived, if not, I have a TimeMachine backup that should contain the VM. What I don't have is a possibility to export or shut the VM down properly.

Will whatever version of Fusion that is needed for running on Mojave be able to run the old Fusion 7 VM properly?

If not, I might have to try to extract the Windows 7 Pro that's inside and somehow make it run straight on a computer, or at least try and extract whatever data might be salvaged from there.

MMTIA!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So lots of factors here.  Time Machine is unreliable for virtual machine backups - it may or may not work.  If you can, pick the most recent backup when the VM was backed up while shut down - Fusion not running.  Going forward, it's best to exclude it from time machine and use another backup method BTW.

When you first open the virtual machine you'll be prompted to upgrade the virtual hardware (do it), and then after booting you'll need to upgrade vmware tools and then reboot the guest.

If the VM wasn't shut down when backed up (e.g. just suspended) you may have to do a force reboot of it, which can corrupt the virtual disk - but works most of the time.  The real risk here is if TM gives you a clean backup to restore or not.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Hopefully the SSD survived, if it did, do use that copy of the VM.

As for "will my Fusion 7 VM work", the answer is "yes", it works fine.

You can download it from here:

Download VMware Fusion | VMware

(the trial version is the same as the full version, the difference is the license, the bits and bytes are the same)

One additional note to what dlhotka mentioned.

When you start the VM on Fusion you will get a question if you copied or moved it.

restore-Workstation-move-or-copy.png

The correct answer is "I Moved It".

If you end up selecting "I Copied it" then your virtual hardware will end up getting new identifiers and the chances of you having to reactivate windows are quite big.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Good catch - forgot that!

0 Kudos