VMware Communities
dhuman532
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will Windows 10 Guest VM need to be recreated when moving from Yosemite to El Capitan as host OS?

I have Fusion 8 installed on Yosemite. I have a guest VM that is Windows 10 and working well. When I install El Capitan, will I have to recreate the Windows 10 guest VM or should it run as is with El Capitan as the Host OS? Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Updating to El Capitan should not matter for your guest OS, it should continue to run as is.

However be careful NOT to wipe your disk on the update as then it might erase your VM.

So best thing - as always - is to make a backup of your VM - with the VM shut down and Fusion not running - before upgrading to El Capitan.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Updating to El Capitan should not matter for your guest OS, it should continue to run as is.

However be careful NOT to wipe your disk on the update as then it might erase your VM.

So best thing - as always - is to make a backup of your VM - with the VM shut down and Fusion not running - before upgrading to El Capitan.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Quick answer is no, but the fuller answer is the one by Wilva.  it saves me typing Smiley Happy  

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As another word of advice, you should have some form of complete system backup before a major

OSX upgrade.  It can be either done with Time Machine or creating a clone (Carbon Copy Cloner,

Super Duper, etc.).

In the vast majority of cases, upgrading is not a problem but unexpected things can happen ro some

incompatibility issues may arise which may require you to return to a previous installation.