VMware Communities
psefadfa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will VMWare Fusion 6 compatible with OS X Yosemite soon?

I am really looking for the new update of Yosemite but I don't know if VMWare fusion 6 compatible is with the upcoming Yosemite. I use VMWare fusion for music production so it's important for me. And if I update to Yosemite and it's not compatible what is the worst thing that could happen? Thnx a lot!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

VMware standard policy is not to comment on future features to the product.

As Yosemite is not even released by apple and VMware Fusion 7 is the new line of the product I'm not sure if Yosemite will fully be supported as a host OS by VMware Fusion 6, I would however expect full support for it as a guest OS. Fusion 7 however will support Yosemite.

As such it is hard to give any measured response to your questions as it is right now.

VMware Fusion 6.x might work when running under Yosemite, there are people doing just that. In the forum here things like slow performance have been reported when doing that. But it is difficult to say what the "worst thing that can happen" is.

For the moment I'd say that if you do not want to upgrade to Fusion 7 that the best thing to do is to wait with upgrading to Yosemite until more is known about possible support using Fusion 6 or no support.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

VMware standard policy is not to comment on future features to the product.

As Yosemite is not even released by apple and VMware Fusion 7 is the new line of the product I'm not sure if Yosemite will fully be supported as a host OS by VMware Fusion 6, I would however expect full support for it as a guest OS. Fusion 7 however will support Yosemite.

As such it is hard to give any measured response to your questions as it is right now.

VMware Fusion 6.x might work when running under Yosemite, there are people doing just that. In the forum here things like slow performance have been reported when doing that. But it is difficult to say what the "worst thing that can happen" is.

For the moment I'd say that if you do not want to upgrade to Fusion 7 that the best thing to do is to wait with upgrading to Yosemite until more is known about possible support using Fusion 6 or no support.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
jmichas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think this policy is silly. When this post was made it was days away from Yosemite being release.

Today Yosemite is available. Is Fusion 6 compatible with it or not?

I use Fusion for work so it is critical that it works if I am to upgrade to Yosemite. I am not opposed to upgrading to fusion 7 but I haven't because I treat my critical systems with a bit of the "if it aint broke dont fix it" methodology. I have been watching reports of fusion 7 and some of the things that I use weren't 100% working according to some so I wasn't willing to upgrade in the middle of a big project.

Thanks.

psefadfa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't know because I have VMWare Fusion 7 running on Yosemite I haven't try that you should ask anyone else

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello user

jmichas wrote:

I think this policy is silly. When this post was made it was days away from Yosemite being release.

Today Yosemite is available. Is Fusion 6 compatible with it or not?

Exactly, today it is available. There have been a number of beta releases before that, but things change.

At this moment VMware cannot guarantee it is compatible with the actually final released bits as they only got it in their hands just now as well.

So you'll have to be patient to see once everything has passed proper Quality & Assurance testing to see if they can support it. Maybe they have to make changes. Maybe the changes they need to make are too big to roll into Fusion 6, that would be a management decision.

It doesn't make sense for them to tell upfront that Fusion 6 is supported on Yosemite before it has gone through Q&A.

However they did already tell that Fusion 7 will be supported on Yosemite as they have to support Fusion 7 on Yosemite hosts anyways.

Without knowing all the ins and outs and the internals of how different Fusion 6 is from Fusion 7 it is easy to state what you think how it should work, but it is in the end up to VMware to decide what is best for the product.

Personally I'd say run Yosemite for now in a VM and wait a bit until everything gets stable, INCLUDING Yosemite.

edit: FWIW VMware did release Fusion 6.0.5 on October 16, it doesn't mention Yosemite support specifically in the release notes, but I read elsewhere that "it works on Yosemite" .. whatever that might mean (it certainly doesn't qualify as and official supported statement)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
scottjf8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just upgraded my rMBP to Yosemite and so far, it seems Fusion 6.0.4 is working for me.  Just launched it and started up my Windows 7 VM and it started fine.

0 Kudos
bocaboy20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Version 6 didn't work for me with a Windows 7 vm. Windows Update failed to run and the screen finally went black and required a forced shutdown. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the new translucent screen in Yosemite and version 6 needs a new software to deal with it.

So, engineering at VMWare, now that Yosemite is released, when can we expect that new software without forcing us to upgrade to V7?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

bocaboy201110141 wrote: So, engineering at VMWare, now that Yosemite is released, when can we expect that new software without forcing us to upgrade to V7?

It's logical to assume the VMware will first ensure that VMware Fusion 7 is as fully supported with OS X 10.10 as they intend it to be and then if they follow suite with the same scenario when OS X 10.9 was released they did not officially support other then what at the time was the latest being VMware Fusion 6.  So no update to VMware Fusion 5 for OS X 10.9 therefore no update to VMware Fusion 6 for OS X 10.10 and the only officially supported version of VMware Fusion for OS X 10.10 will be 7.  That said, hopefully they will not repeat these mistakes and update VMware Fusion 6 to be officially supported on OS X 10.10 however I wouldn't count on it based on past performance! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
boltarus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with Fusion 6.03 being marked as unusable (grey "do not" symbol overlayed on icon; error message about incompatibility with this version of OS on trying to open it).  Since I just upgraded to version 6 in April of this year, 6 months ago, at a rather pricey upgrade cost of $50, and since the VMWare 7 upgrade is another $50, I was a bit put out and wished I had just suffered 6 months longer with Fusion 5. 

However, to my relief, the VMWare Fusion 6.05 download has solved this problem for me; 6.05 seems to run acceptably on OS X 10.10 Yosemite, though there seems to be know acknowledgement in the release notes to this effect.

VMWare needs to work on messaging and updates for regular small business and individual customers. 

0 Kudos
bocaboy20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, let me summarize the responses from VMWare: I'm SOL, and my investment in Fusion, and my existing vms, are worthless unless I agree to shell out $50.

That's really the response you want to communicate? As others have noted, Yosemite has been in beta for months. While I understand that your focus would be on a new version, surely you can't have the level of disdain for your current users that you couldn't simultaneously rewrite VMWare Tools to upgrade any deficiencies in version 6. Can you imagine Microsoft not doing upgrades for Windows 7 while developing Windows 8? Can you imagine Adobe not upgrading CS6 while developing the latest version of Photosohp? The list could go on and on.

I'm very disappointed in VMWare. You have enough developers to both create new software and to make, at the very least, the last version of the program compatible with Yosemite. I for one don't want to be held hostage to this constant upgrade cycle every time Apple decides to upgrade the OS. I can understand (sort of) not upgrading software that is two versions back, but the latest release not being made compatible is both unfair to your existing users as well as bad business.

cedric00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"I for one don't want to be held hostage to this constant upgrade cycle every time Apple decides to upgrade the OS. I can understand (sort of) not upgrading software that is two versions back, but the latest release not being made compatible is both unfair to your existing users as well as bad business."

I second that.

I switched from a free alternative to VMWare: and then I had to upgrade to VMWare 6 in june. I certainly would not like to upgrade again (and again every year, as Apple seems to release a new version of Mac OS X every year). And above all, the attitude "We will not tell you at all if VMWare 6 will work fine [because we secretly wish you buy again our software]" is not welcome, because VMWare absolutely knows what changes they had to make software work.

0 Kudos
bocaboy20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There's good news! VMWare updated v6 to 6.0.5 and the problems with running Windows 7 are resolved. I can't speak to running a vm of Windows 8, but for my vm of Windows 7, I'm back in business.

0 Kudos
Steve-1029
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My MAC with earlier version of Fusion 6 did not load, but rather forced me to upgrade to ver 7

I declined but nothing worked

Then:

I have just uploaded ver 6.05 fusion

MacBook running Yosemite ver 10.10.1

and it works !

The release notes for ver 6.05 do not say anything about Yosemite

steve

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Steve-1029 wrote: My MAC with earlier version of Fusion 6 did not load, but rather forced me to upgrade to ver 7

I declined but nothing worked

I have to take issue with the use of the word "forced" as VMware does not force anyone to take an update or upgrade when offered and one may decline if one so chooses!  (Just as you say you did.)

The release notes for ver 6.05 do not say anything about Yosemite

Yes while VMware Fusion 6.0.5 will run under OS X Yosemite nonetheless it's probably because, at the present time, the only officially supported version of VMware Fusion under OS X Yosemite is VMware Fusion 7.

0 Kudos
Steve-1029
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Use of the word Forced

After updating to Yosemite . . .

If i tired to open Fusion

all I got was a screen talking about Version 7 of Fusion

Update, Take Demo code or Quit  ( No other choices)

I would sign up or "Quit"

Quit got rid of the screen and exited.

So I could not open VM Fusion at all without being "forced" to upgrade

The good news is that there seems to be a working version of Yosemite and VM Fusion.

So upgrading my Fusion to ver 6.0.5 seems to have things working again

steve

0 Kudos