VMware Communities
jobiegermano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will Fusion allow you to run full Outlook without installing a Windows OS?

I'm having some trouble understanding the nature of the Fusion product. It is simply just another competitor to Parallels? Sold by Apple themselves of course. My main question though is, will this virtualize just an applicaiton? Can I install the full blown Outlook product on the MAC OS without installing Windows at all? Or is the solution simply to install a virtual Windows that MAC can reach into pull out an application.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is the wrong place to ask (though people may still be able to help); you may get a more comprehensive response at a WINE-centric forum.

My understanding[/i] is that WINE is the free, open-source version (but is for Linux, so you can't run it on OS X). CrossOver is a closed-source derivative - it costs money, but has better compatibility. Darwine is the OS X port of WINE, and I would expect it to be least mature of the three. Disclaimer: I've never actually run CrossOver or Darwine, and haven't looked at WINE in a while.

Of course I'm biased, but if you really need stability, WINE/derivatives may not be the solution for you. WINE works by emulating the Windows API, which is not documented and is constantly evolving. I think that they're great for running the occasional program, but for mission-critical apps, you should stick to actually running Windows - it's one fewer thing that can go wrong.

Edit: It also depends on the exact version of a program you want to run. For example, CodeWeavers (makers of CrossOver) lists Outlook 2000[/url] as a silver app (works but some known bugs), while Outlook 2007[/url] is listed as known not to run. -etung 2007.08.13 14:10

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You will have to do a full Windows Installation. Windows has to be running for Outlook to run.

Our Unity feature allows the feeling that Outlook is running without Windows but hiding the Windows desktop and allowing the Outlook window to be manipulated as though it were running natively on the Mac. But you do have to have a full Windows installation.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want to run Windows apps without actually running Windows, look into WINE and its derivatives, such as CrossOver Mac or Darwine.

SMB1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

FYI, neither Parallels or Fusion are sold by Apple.

And yes, Fusion and Parallels are virtualization software that generally do the same thing.

0 Kudos
jobiegermano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SMB, I was confused by this statement in the VMware FAQ...

Where can I buy VMware Fusion?

VMware Fusion is available for purchase online and will soon be available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and from over 3000 VMware partners worldwide.

Thank you for your response, everyone.

0 Kudos
jobiegermano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

etung, Can I ask for a comparison of WINE, CrossOver Mac and Darwine? I'm in a corporate environment and need Outlook to be extremely stable. Are all of these pretty much the same and just a 'religious' discussion here? Or is someone leaps and bounds above the others? Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Information was already pointed out by Eric...should read first before writing...

Message was edited by:

Andreas Masur

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

etung, Can I ask for a comparison of WINE, CrossOver

Mac and Darwine? I'm in a corporate environment and

need Outlook to be extremely stable. Are all of

these pretty much the same and just a 'religious'

discussion here? Or is someone leaps and bounds

above the others? Thanks again!

VMware Fusion vs VirtualBox vs Darwine vs Boot Camp vs Parallels vs CrossOver Mac[/url]...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is the wrong place to ask (though people may still be able to help); you may get a more comprehensive response at a WINE-centric forum.

My understanding[/i] is that WINE is the free, open-source version (but is for Linux, so you can't run it on OS X). CrossOver is a closed-source derivative - it costs money, but has better compatibility. Darwine is the OS X port of WINE, and I would expect it to be least mature of the three. Disclaimer: I've never actually run CrossOver or Darwine, and haven't looked at WINE in a while.

Of course I'm biased, but if you really need stability, WINE/derivatives may not be the solution for you. WINE works by emulating the Windows API, which is not documented and is constantly evolving. I think that they're great for running the occasional program, but for mission-critical apps, you should stick to actually running Windows - it's one fewer thing that can go wrong.

Edit: It also depends on the exact version of a program you want to run. For example, CodeWeavers (makers of CrossOver) lists Outlook 2000[/url] as a silver app (works but some known bugs), while Outlook 2007[/url] is listed as known not to run. -etung 2007.08.13 14:10

0 Kudos
jobiegermano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for your wonderful answers, I will move the new discussion to another forum and, of course, my own testing Smiley Happy

Jobie.

0 Kudos