VMware Communities
VirtualHorse
Contributor
Contributor

Will Fusion 8.5.9 allow me to run from a Boot Camp partition under High Sierra?

A simple question but I've been unable to find a definite answer.

I'm currently running Fusion 8.5.9 on a mid-2010 iMac running 10.12 (Sierra). My boot drive is a Samsung SSD. The same SSD contains a Boot Camp partition running Windows 7. I also run WinXP as a virtual machine, with the VMBundle on my SSD boot drive.

I want to upgrade my OS to 10.13 (High Sierra) but I'm worried Fusion will stop working. I can't upgrade to Fusion 10 because my Mac isn't supported, so I'm stuck with Fusion 8.5.9.

If I upgrade to 10.13, my boot drive will automatically be converted to APFS but I'm assuming the Boot Camp partition will be left alone.

So, if I do the OS upgrade, will Fusion 8.5.9 work with both the WinXP guest (running from an APFS drive) and the Boot Camp partition? If it won't, I guess I'll just stick to Sierra. I don't want to shift to Parallels.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

MacOS High Sierra is only supported with Fusion 10, so if you can't upgrade Fusion to 10, then you should not upgrade MacOS.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

0 Kudos
VirtualHorse
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, daphnissov. I know it's unsupported on Fusion 8.5, but my question is will it work regardless? Posts here seem to indicate that while it's not officially supported, it should work, and that 8.5.8 added APFS support.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It *may* work. While some report it does work, others report serious issues. This is one reason why supported also equals works because there may be things that don't. Your mileage may vary.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

8.5.8 added experimental APFS support.  There's enough other issues with Boot Camp and High Sierra, that I wouldn't even try.

0 Kudos
VirtualHorse
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll stick to Sierra for now, although I have to say it bugs me that Fusion is the only piece of software preventing me from upgrading my system. I only use it occasionally but it's invaluable when I do.

0 Kudos