VMware Communities
CyberTron12
Contributor
Contributor

Will Fusion 2.04 work with Snow Leopard 10a380 as host?

Hi!

The reason I ask is because I am going to install 10a380 tonight, and I need Fusion to work. Last time I couldn't even install Fusion, the installer said that my machine wasn't Intel-based. (which it is :smileygrin: )

Anyone knows?

If it is not working with the 64bit kernel, then perhaps it will work with the 32bit one?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Current version doesn't supports Snow Leopard as a host OS... Next version hopefully will, but this is just a guess - VMware doesn't comment on or discuss unannounced features.

Did you try running it on 32-bit?

CyberTron12
Contributor
Contributor

Ok

I guess it will show, I am going t have sl on a separate partition anyways soo..

But I am quite confident that it should work in 32bit kernel mode..

0 Kudos
CyberTron12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Well, snow leopard is now installed, and Fusion installed ok. WITH 32bit kernel. haven't tried 64bit. but I am not in a hurry for that, so for now I am a happy camper!

is is very fast and sharp any way :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
jb510
Contributor
Contributor

Everything I've seen on the Team Fusion Blog indicates Fusion only supports 32-bit installs of both Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard server.

Has anyone seen/heard differently? I'd really like to start test some things out in SL, but it really needs to be 64-bit to be worth the time.

0 Kudos
dimavs
Contributor
Contributor

the installer said that my machine wasn't Intel-based. (which it is )

It's easy to fix, just update Install VMWare Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMWare Fusion.pkg/Contents/Resources/InstallationCheck and replace 'i386' with 'x86_64':

if \["`sysctl -n hw.machine`" != 'x86_64'\]; then

exit $ERROR_INTEL_ONLY

fi

But, still, no luck for me further. Can't start existing VM with "can't connect, check permissions".

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 2.0.4 does not have 64-bit kernel extensions, so while you can change the install script to work on K64, it won't actually be able to run virtual machines.

0 Kudos
dimavs
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, good point. Thanks!

0 Kudos
jb510
Contributor
Contributor

in reverse I know, but I've been trying to figure out if you can run SL Mac OS X 10.6 10A380 as guest. I do notice there is experimental support for OS X Server 10.5 64-bit and OS X Server 10.6 64-bit. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to use these to install OS-X 10.6 64-bit.

0 Kudos
dimavs
Contributor
Contributor

I reckon, this support is for 64-bit guest, not host

0 Kudos
dade
Contributor
Contributor

I installed 10A380 and I can't get vmware 2.0.4 to work.

The problem seems to be that he can't open CFBundle in vmware kexts.. so it won't load kernel extensions.

I see you're talking about using 32 bit kernel instead of 64bit. How do you do that ?

I'm using default kernel from 10A380 which seems to be a 64bit kernel judging from what I see at boot.

Please give me any hint

0 Kudos
CyberTron12
Contributor
Contributor

i thought the default kernel was i386 (aka. 32bit) and that one had to press 6 4 at boot to force start of 64bit kernel.

either way, to find out what kernel you are running, open about this mac, click "more info" and choose Software from the list on the left.

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A380)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.0.0b1

Boot Volume: Snow Leopard

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: Michael Karlsson’s MacBook Pro

User Name: Michael Karlsson (cybertron)

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Time since boot: 10:43

/Michael

0 Kudos
dade
Contributor
Contributor

I checked and 64 bit extensions are No (off)

I tryed booting and pressing 6 and 4 at poweron (kept them down while booting a bit) and I still get "No" in System Preferences. Why?

Are you able to boot in 64bit mode ?

0 Kudos
CyberTron12
Contributor
Contributor

hmm..strange, I haven't tried 64bit yet (since I need vmware working)

it shoudl work by pressing 64 , but since you are actually runnning 32bit, then I would reinstall vmware.

Did you do a fresh install of SL or did you upgrade?

An image for everyone to see that it is possible run Vmware on 380.

0 Kudos
dade
Contributor
Contributor

haha I was upgrading.

I did a fresh install and it works.

btw I'd love to try 64 bit but can't enable it.

0 Kudos