VMware Communities
RickCAZ
Contributor
Contributor

Will Fusion 10.1.6 work under Catalina?

Is Fusion 10.1.6 supposed to work under Catalina? Or do I need to upgrade to 11.whatever?

From all the black screen complaints I am wondering if any Fusion version will work under Catalina. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

VMware‘s official position on this is in KB article 2088571, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571.

• Fusion 10 is officially supported on El Captain, Sierra, and High Sierra.  Mojave or Catalina are not listed as supported.
  • 11.5 is the first version that has official Catalina support

From what I see, VMware will not tell you if Fusion 10 it works or not on Catalina as they didn’t test it, Fusion 10 is no longer officially supported, and they are not going back to fix Fusion 10 to work on Catalina.

You might be able to get 11.0 or 11.1 to work acceptably on Catalina. I don’t hold much hope for 10 working based on difficulties seen here in the community and the internal changes that Apple has made to macOS since High Sierra. But if you try and you run into problems the only recourse you have is the friendly users that frequent this community.

If if your time is worth anything to you and you have to run your VMs on Catalina, then the way forward is to upgrade to 11.5.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos