VMware Communities
mikedd0
Contributor
Contributor

Why when Expanding Virtual HD with tools it does not change VM HD - Out of space

I am running VMWare Fusion ver. Version 8.5.8 (5824040) and I am out of space. The HD on my VM Windows 7 build shows the HD to be a 40GB drive. It is at max capacity. I have used the VMWare Tools to expand my HD a couple of times up to 200GB. The action works and shows complete, however when I go back and start up the Windows 7 build, it does snot show that the hard drive has been changed. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
williamz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you share how you used VMware "Tools" to expand the virtual HD, like detailed steps to do so? Have you seen in VM settings view, the disk size has been expanded to 200GB? Have you checked in the Windows guest (e.g., in control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management), what about the disk layout, disk spaces, have you seen any change inside Windows?

Here are the links about resizing/expanding virtual disk through VM settings GUI, VMware KBs: VMware Knowledge Base ​and VMware Knowledge Base (Fusion). Follow the KBs, it should work.

0 Kudos