VMware Communities
fbasilico
Contributor
Contributor

Why is my fedora VM consuming space of my ssd of my mac when i'm runnin it in an external drive

Hi guys, i've to start running a fedora 17 virtual machine in VMWARE fusion 5.0, and as i only have a 256gb ssd on my macpro retina display i load the vm from and external hard drive (USB 3.0). But when i'm running it i pay attention to my local storage and i can see that sometimes decrease. Maybe it's some configuration i don't know

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Is your computer swapping memory?

0 Kudos
fbasilico
Contributor
Contributor

sorry?

0 Kudos
fbasilico
Contributor
Contributor

somewhere the fedora vm is writing in my local drive!!!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

fbasilico wrote: But when i'm running it i pay attention to my local storage and i can see that sometimes decrease.

It is quite normal and expected that as applications are opened, the amount of free disk space on the internal drive can decrease.  It actually would have been more helpful from a diagnostic/troubleshooting perspective to have actually quantified the differential! Smiley Wink

As an example, with VMware Fusion already open I start a VM from an USB 3.0 Drive that has 8 GB of RAM allocated to it and on my early 2013 MacBook Pro the amount of Used space increases 153.6 MB and when the VM is shutdown it decreases by the same amount.  Now I consider that an insignificant amount and I wouldn't give it a second thought, although if it was say.. 10 times that (or more) then I'd want to know why.

0 Kudos
fbasilico
Contributor
Contributor

obviusly when i turn on the local drive decrease in an amount of 4.2 gb the same as the file in /Documentes/VM/ increase in that amount, but when during i use the vm i can observ decreasing the size of my local drive. Can anyone suggest me some configurations for my 2012 late mac pro retina 15''.

Thanks

0 Kudos