VMware Communities
vmbob201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Why doesn't VMware Fusion support Blackberry RIM device?

I am trying to connect my Blackberry 9700 to Windows 7 running on Fusion.

Tried on v3 - didn't work

Downloaded free trial of v4 - didn't work

What is so hard about USB connecting a RIM device via Fusion?

Errors (from v4):

The device "Research In Motion RIM Composite Device" was unable to connect to its ideal host controller.

An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device.

Unable to connect the USB device "Research In Motion RIM Composite Device" to the virtual machine (error code 4).

Contact VMware, Inc. technical support for assistance.

A quick google finds this to be a very common and popular problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
klauzser
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. Me and a friend also encountered the same with our machines running Fusion. It might be from VMware's end, that is why you have to contact them for help.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

This is the workaround:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200736...

I did see "** was unable to connect to its ideal host controller" when I uncheck the USB 2.0 support on VM USB settings. So please also check this option if u see it.

vmbob201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that reply tracywang

That does seem to have worked around the issue eventually - luckily I am happy using the command line etc.

I still wonder how VMware can be on version 4 of Fusion and still not manage to let a Blackberry connect without errors. Do they ever do any testing?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
vmbob201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Ahhh.... Now I see why VMware have made it so that a Blackberry can't connect to Fusion.

It crashes with a blue screen of death when you do manage to connect the Blackberry!! 😞

Their solution was to make sure you can't (easily) connect the Blackberry in the first place - neat.

So glad I didn't pay for the Fusion 4 upgrade and used the free trial version instead. I will now uninstall and go back to version 3 of Fusion. Maybe they will fix this for version 5? 🙂

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos