VMware Communities
Philxxxxxxx
Contributor
Contributor

Why does the drag and drop context menu always popup when dragging files between windows explorer instances ?

I have fusion 7.1.1 on an iMac 27 inch retina. 32GB ram of which 6GB assigned to Fusion and 2 cores. Windows 7 Home Premium installed. Mostly working fine but a few funnies. First and foremost: Whenever I drag and drop between instances of windows explorer, I get the little pop-up context menu offering me Copy Here / Move Here etc.  etc. I have never known Windows to ask me what I want to do when I drag stuff - why is this happening ? I have scoured the net for info on this and found nothing. Please note that this is NOT associated with the Start Menu (For which I found a zillion solutions to whatever that problem is). Also, It is NOT to do with stopping drag & drop and Context menus: yes, I know how to do that but that is NOT what I'm asking to get rid of. This may not be related but I have also had to set my Internet Properties / Explorer settings / Launching-applications-and-unsafe-files to "Enable" to prevent every shortcut I create causing a "Do you want to run this ... ?" message every time I click on them. Doing this has caused WIndows 7 to turn into a finger-wagging safety-nanny glaring at me over its demi-lune spectacles.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Philxxxxxxx
Contributor
Contributor

Solved the drag and drop context menu problem: After an exhausting 3 hour support session with Microsoft (including an exciting bit where the technician accidentally reversed the remote screen view for about an hour so I could see EVERYTHING SINGLE THEY were doing including all their email, personal file details, standard customer-canned-reply lists and web-surfing, in fact everything except work on my problem) it came down to Fusion's default Mouse setup. It was generating some funny non-standard sequence when I did ctrl/left-click. The resolution is to go into "Windows settings" (the spanner) / Keyboard and Mouse. Double click on "Windows8 profile", click on the "mouse shortcuts" tab and un-check "secondary button = Control-Primary button"

0 Kudos