VMware Communities
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why does the V M part of my ARM Ubuntu server show up as 'Intel'?

Running Fusion 13.0.1 on MacOS Ventura 13.3

In Activity Monitor the VM component of Ubuntu shows up even  though its Ubuntu 22.04 ARM Ubuntu server. How come?

It would run faster without Rosetta I imagine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Exactly which components are you seeing that are running as Intel? The ones that matter and impact VM performance all run as “Apple” as noted in the Activity Monitor.

There may be a couple of Fusion related processes that run as “Intel”, but those are non-critical. The one that comes to mind is the Fusion Applications Menu and it’s helper. These are the processes that put the Fusion icon in the macOS menu bar, and it does not impact any performance of a running VM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

see attached screenshot .... at least 2 parts of VMWare running as Intel --- starting up Ubuntu-ARM 22.04.2

0 Kudos
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both are tagged as VMWare Applications Menu

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Actually one is the VMware Fusion Applications Menu, the other is the VMware Fusion Applications Menu Helper.

I'm being nit-picky but the bottom line is that both of those components are management components, and they don't impact VM performance.  You'll also notice a "vmrest" service that is part of Fusion and runs as an "Intel" process That service implements REST APIs that allow things outside of Fusion to programmatically query and manipulate things within Fusion. That too is a management function and has no impact on Fusion VM performance.

I will agree that from a purist standpoint, both of these should be native Apple Silicon code. I would hope that eventually they will be, since at some point in the future Apple may decide to deprecate Rosetta.. However I can understand if VMware made the decision to prioritize getting the more critical components working in native Apple Silicon code, and leaving it as a "to-do" for the things that don't require the absolute best performance.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There was a post on this a while back - there is one small piece of code in the UX that hasn't been ported yet.  They indicated that it's in the queue for a fix.

0 Kudos