VMware Communities
Guddler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Who's bought in?

So, who's putting their money where their mouth is (as the saying goes) and stumping up the cash then? I certainly did as soon as I learnt that we were able to since I'd been promising a purchase since day one of beta one Smiley Happy

Sure, there are a few things I hope are ironed out prior to release day if possible - some way of supporting multiple screens in unity is one, if it's acheivable but on the whole I have no real issues with the current beta.

Big thumbs up for allowing those of us that have supported the betas so buy in at a reduced rate. It was a long wait from Mac's intel transition to this point but it seems it's been worth it!

Right, anyway, I'll go back to lurking now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

I pre-ordered it as soon as it became available. It already does everything I really need. More features would be nice, but it's already worth $40 to me.

0 Kudos
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've bought mine... and got my company to buy 5 more.

0 Kudos
justflybob
Contributor
Contributor

I'll purchase mine this weekend.

Just waiting for my Parallels refund! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bigrock0
Contributor
Contributor

i think that vmware should give us a copy for trying out all their betas. we reported bugs and gave feedback that's useful to some level.

for all those that participated in these threads and installed betas, free license!

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, ordered a copy for my MacBook. Will be ordering another once the iMac's have been refreshed....

0 Kudos
spfthink
Contributor
Contributor

Yep - bought it. As you say, a few rough edges (per my posts), but I'm hammering the thing for real at work and it's holding up pretty well. Also, I've installed too much in my Windows config (Oracle stuff etc) to trust going back to Parallels, where things didn't work very well. I'm trusting VMWare to come up with a superior, industry strength, product - eventually.

0 Kudos
movielad
Contributor
Contributor

You know the score when you download a beta - it's unpaid work. You can think of this discount as some kind of reward for the testing and/or willingness to stick it through this stage of the game.

In the past I have received a completely free license for VMware Workstation for reporting some obscure bugs, as well as a massive glass tankard (which is still used today - thanks guys!).

In this case, I'm forking out the cash because I want this product to do well, and 25 quid for a fully featured virtualisation product is, quite frankly, a steal. Even the full price of 80 dollars (40 quid) is extremely reasonable when Fusion is released.

0 Kudos
cwa
Contributor
Contributor

Free license because they listened to us? Maybe. Maybe not.

Someone could argue that we should be charged twice the normal price because of all the custom features that they had to build for us and that maybe nobody else will use.

😛

0 Kudos
Guddler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In this case, I'm forking out the cash because I want this product to do well, > and 25 quid for a fully featured virtualisation product is, quite frankly, a

steal. Even the full price of 80 dollars (40 quid) is extremely reasonable

when Fusion is released.

My thoughts exactly.

Someone could argue that we should be charged twice

the normal price because of all the custom features

that they had to build for us and that maybe nobody

else will use.

Ssshhhh!!!

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I said I'd pay and I did. $40 is a steal.

0 Kudos
tcsdoc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a Parallels user but 3.0 left me disappointed. I can buy Fusion for the same pre-buy price as Parallels so I made the switch. Got a refund on Parallels and bought Fusion.

Can't believe how cheap this is considering how much it improves my Mac world. Unity really makes the day for me.

0 Kudos
msiko
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a list of committed features we can expect in the 1.0 release? Perhaps I just haven't looked in the right place, but it would be nice to know. If the current beta is any indication, I definitely look forward to purchasing.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Is there a list of committed features we can expect

in the 1.0 release? Perhaps I just haven't looked in

the right place, but it would be nice to know. If

the current beta is any indication, I definitely look

forward to purchasing.

VMware does not disclose information about future functionality. I am not aware of an official announcement about the final feature set. However given the relatively short time frame until GA, I would think is it nearly complete.

Nonetheless...even without knowing the final feature set...

Ciao, Andreas

Edit: Added money-back...

0 Kudos
aanhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Just ordered my copy! I'm sure I'll be another very happy VMware customer!

0 Kudos
detayls
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I think $40 is a great deal. I'm in.

David

0 Kudos
SillyRegistrati
Contributor
Contributor

Bought it as soon as I saw it was available.

My choice is made since January (pretty much when Parallel did its last kernel panic on me and I trashed it while I never had this kind of pb with Fusion), so I'm happy to get this sweet product half price (with all the custom features I wanted, e.g. Unity Smiley Happy

Good work, thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
AbortRetryFail
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet. I'm reasonably happy with Parallels 2.5. No compatibility or stability problems to date. I bought two licences for Parallels 3.0 in advance of its release. Never again... Got a refund (which was handled very gracefully by SWsoft, as I've remarked over on the Parallels forums).

I like Fusion B4 but it seems slower and heavier than Parallels 2.5, even after turning off debugging mode in the former. Such comparisons may not be fair, so I'm reserving judgement for now.

VMware is clearly the bigger, more experienced, and more sophisticated company than Parallels. But that alone won't cause me to switch. If the final release of Fusion is faster and lighter than Parallels, I'll switch. I don't want more feaures -- I want a rock solid, lightweight and zippy virtual engine. Like others here, cost is irrelevant to me.

Regards,

StevenC

0 Kudos
ajjantz
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't give it a second thought. Bought and paid for in the same breath.

Been using VMware for sometime now. Get a lot of mileage from it.

0 Kudos
BP9906
Expert
Expert

Just bought in right now. Love the VMware technology. I dont buy cheap imitation. I look forward to all the enhancements they add. I have faith that they'll do it right the first time.

0 Kudos