VMware Communities
kmcorbett
Contributor
Contributor

Which vmware product(s) to create and/or modify virtual machine package?

Which vmware product(s) must I use to create a new virtual machine from scratch? or can I modify an existing vm that I've downloaded from the repository?

My goal is to distribute a vm running Linux with custom software that my clients can run in vmware Fusion or Player.

Sorry if this question is terribly naive, I waded through a ton of literature on vmware.com and the answer is not clear. Running vmware Fusion on Mac I don't see any obvious way to save a new vm. Or is this what "snapshot" is for?

Thanks

-Keith

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

You can make a snapshot of VM, and than convert it back to VM using vConverter.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
kmcorbett
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware vCenter Converter product looks interesting. Can the converter input a snapshot and output a virtual machine file?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which vmware product(s) must I use to create a new virtual machine from scratch? or can I modify an existing vm that I've downloaded from the repository?

AFAIK all of our products except older versions of Player (3.0RC is new enough) can create virtual machines. In Fusion's case, File > New... creates a new virtual machine (you'll have to install and configure the OS). If you're just looking to copy an existing virtual machine, quit Fusion/Player/whatever and make a copy in the host*.

• Offer not valid on some very unusual configurations.

kmcorbett
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use Fusion to tweak the environment - install new software etc. - and generate a modified virtual machine?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can I use Fusion to tweak the environment - install new software etc. - and generate a modified virtual machine?

Yes, though "generate a modified virtual machine" is misleading. When you run the virtual machine and install new software, the virtual machine is modified. Shut it down, you're done* -- if you run the virtual machine, your changes are still there. There's nothing to "generate".

• Again, this may not be true for some unusual configurations, but usually is the case

0 Kudos