VMware Communities
Radcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which "version" of Windows 7 Professional do I buy to be compatible with Fusion?

I am currently running Win XP in Fusion.  I would like to buy Windows 7 Professional and create a brand new clean install of a new Virtual machine with it.

I have seen threads that state that certain versions of Windows 7 can NOT be installed in Fusion (specifically OEM - System Builder).  I do not really understand what this means. What version CAN I buy and install?  Is there a specific Microsoft Product Number that I should look for?  Are certain OEM versions OK with Fusion?  How do I tell if it will work?  I have looked at many, many of these for sale online but don't know which one to buy.  Is there a certain seller online that has a compatible version?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Microsoft technical support is notorious for giving out incorrect information on the legal usage of various licenses - particularly since the rules for Windows 8 changed dramatically (and multiple times).

OEM licenses are only legal for usage on the machine which they were shipped with.  Since Apple doesn't ship machines with windows, no OEM license is legal to use on a Mac (boot camp or otherwise).

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional [Old Version]: Software

Appears to be the retail version.  Put it another way - if it's under $400, it's probably OEM (or fake).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does MS even sell Windows 7 anymore ?

Message was edited by: Charles B. Mc Kennie - typo

0 Kudos
Radcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, but you can buy many different versions of Win 7 from many sellers such as WalMart, Tiger Direct, Amazon, B&H, etc.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You want a retail version, which should run you about 190USD for Home Premium, more for other SKUs.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

OEM and System builder versions cannot legally be virtualized on a Mac.  Only a full retail license can.  Unfortunately, MSFT stopped selling those in October of 2013, so they're nearly impossible to find - and if you do, can be $400-600.  You may be able to get a home premium retail license cheaper, and use a windows anytime upgrade to convert it (I did that about 14 months ago), but I'm not sure if those servers are still online.

Beware - a lot of licenses are actually OEM or system builder that have been mislabeled - too cheap is suspect.  Also beware of ebay/craiglist/etc - many of those are 'recovered' licenses that they keys have already been used.

Radcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you to both jmattson and dlhotka for your answers.  I have found that the information provided by many sellers to be confusing.  Sometimes the letters "OEM" are only in the fine print somewhere near the bottom of the page.  But often there is a Microsoft Product number listed such as: FQC-08289, or FQC-04649.  I was hoping someone could provide me with the correct Microsoft Product Numbers to be looking for.

Are there any OEM versions that are OK to use?

I called Microsoft technical support and explained all this to them. The advisor was very nice. She put me on hold and talked to her Chief Technical Advisor, then to her Supervisor.  They said that as long as I used a new, authentic key, that it was fine if I used any version of Windows 7 in virtualization software on a Mac.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

They said that as long as I used a new, authentic key, that it was fine if I used any version of Windows 7 in virtualization software on a Mac.

That's the problem. You will install the version of Windows in the VM and everything will seem to work. When it is time to activate the license, you will find that the product key will be rejected. What you want is the "Retail" version product key. That's what Microsoft meant by "authentic". An "OEM" product key will not work in your virtual machine. You can enter it, but Windows will reject it as invalid. The error message is the same as if you enter any other random set of 25 characters.

We had the exact same problem with a 180-day trial version of Windows Server running in a VMware virtual machine. We had purchased a copy of Windows Server from Amazon, intending to enter the product key to activate the license, but the customer had misplaced the package. As the trial version time limit got very close, the customer looked harder and found the package. We opened it and entered the product key, which was rejected! The problem was that we had purchased on OEM package. We had to go out and buy a Retail package directly from the Microsoft Store, then wait for the package to arrive in the mail. Microsoft would not email a product key, nor would they provide a short trial license extension. In the meantime, the trial license expired and the server was not usable until the package arrived and we entered the Retail product key.

As others have said, retail box versions of Windows 7 are difficult to find. Those that remain are expensive, I imagine. If the product or version does not explicitly say "Retail" then it is probably not useable on your system. Good luck!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Microsoft technical support is notorious for giving out incorrect information on the legal usage of various licenses - particularly since the rules for Windows 8 changed dramatically (and multiple times).

OEM licenses are only legal for usage on the machine which they were shipped with.  Since Apple doesn't ship machines with windows, no OEM license is legal to use on a Mac (boot camp or otherwise).

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional [Old Version]: Software

Appears to be the retail version.  Put it another way - if it's under $400, it's probably OEM (or fake).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@vmxmr, without quoting what's technically not totally true in your reply let me just say the following...

There is a big difference between trying to input an OEM Product Key in a Windows 180 Trial version on a physical machine or in a virtual machine and inputting an OEM Product Key in an OEM Windows version on a physical machine or in a virtual machine!

1. Providing the OEM Disc is not locked, in the various ways it can be with some Manufacture Branded OEM Discs, then there is absolutely no technical reason whatsoever why an OEM version cannot be installed, activated and run in a Virtual Machine!

2. While it is absolutely possible to install, activate and run some Windows OEM versions in a Virtual Machine nonetheless one must conform to the products EULA and in the case of Windows 7 OEM version, to my knowledge, none of them allow for use in virtualization.  That said the Windows 8 OEM System Builder EULA has a Personal User clause that absolutely allows for it to be virtualized!

3. As a proof of concept I took a Dell branded Windows 7 OEM Disc and install, activated and ran it in a Virtual Machine.  It did so without any issues whatsoever!  Nonetheless this is not permitted by its EULA and as such I'll delete the Windows 7 OEM version Virtual Machine as it was done simply as a proof of concept.

@Radcon So there you have the truth, which is while it's technically doable with a non-locked OEM discs nonetheless one must conform to the products EULA and to my knowledge none of the Windows 7 OEM versions allow for use in virtualization by its EULA.  Therefore either purchase a Windows 7 Retail Package or a Windows 8 OEM System Builder Package which allows for Personal Use and can be installed in a virtualized environment by its EULA.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Woody,

Thank you for your input and your testing.

To be clear, the problems I described were with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, an OEM version which we had purchased directly from Amazon, believing it to be correct for our needs. At the time, we did not understand the difference between "OEM" and "Retail", and we misunderstood that OEM was sufficient. Clear documentation is lacking, both from retailers and Microsoft.

We had downloaded and installed a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials 180-day trial version directly from Microsoft, and purchased the OEM version from Amazon a month later, but did not enter the product key. As the 180-trial period was close to ending, we entered the OEM product key, and it was rejected. That was when we discovered that we had to purchase the Retail version. The ONLY source for the Retail version was Microsoft. It took nearly a week for Microsoft to ship the box "overnight". Once we activated the server with the Retail product key, it worked again.

Naturally I assumed that the same OEM vs. Retail product key activation issues applied to other versions of Windows. Based on your testing and comments, apparently not.

0 Kudos
Radcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for your informative and detailed answers!  I just got back to my computer this morning and found all these new answers.  I wish there was a way to show that all the last few answers were "Correct Answers" but once I clicked on one of them, I could not select any others.

Thank you for the link to a full retail version.  Wow, $441.00 is a lot of money!

Thank you for the input that I can (if my conscious allows), install an OEM version that should work, but with no guarantees.

I'm considering the full retail version as I sit here with a lump in my throat - still stunned over the outlay of funds it would require.

I also have a second Mac that I am considering getting an OEM version for ($139.95 at BHPhotoVideo.com - my favorite online store). Not to install right away, but in case I need it in the future and they are no longer available to buy.

Lots to consider.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos