VMware Communities
dnadig
Contributor
Contributor

Which Windows XP Professional license do I need for creating a VM

I am migrating from a Windows XP Professional laptop to a Macbook. I am thinking of creating a Windows XP Professional VM to ease the migration; so will delete the VM after a transition period.

I presume that I cannot use the OEM version from the laptop for the migration period.

Do I need to buy a complete retail version of the Windows XP Professional license for the migration?

Are there any better/cheaper options?

Thanks,

Deepak

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Yes, you need a retail license for this installation.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

OEM Version of Microsoft OSes are tied to the original system they were installed on and are non-transferable according to the OEM EULA. Some OEM versions are further modified to be physically tied to the Manufactures Hardware. While OEM versions of Microsoft OSes are available for sale on the Internet as a lower price then Retail versions then are meant for Qualified System Builders although that doesn't stop some people from buying and installing even though they technically do not qualify.

Some people use VMware Converter to convert the Physical OS Build to a Virtual Machine and while technically one should not with an OEM version installed on the Physical system that doesn't stop some people in transferring there OEM Build to a Virtual Machine even thought is violates the OEM EULA.

So if you're not a Qualified System Builder and you want to abide by Microsoft's OEM EULA then your choice is to buy a Retail version or if you qualify for an Academic version however the decision is your.

0 Kudos