rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Where is the Service Request vm-support script located?

Jump to solution

From the Fusion FAQs:

>Q: How do I file service requests (SRs)?

>A: You can file SRs by submiting an online support request.

There is a Service Request script I'm usually asked to run that provides system information as part of submitting an SR. I can not locate the vm-support script.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jennyberglund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With the new public beta build of Fusion, this script is now available.

After installation, it can be found in:

/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support-mac.tool

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The vm-support script is not available for Fusion at this time. Please go ahead and file the service request and we can let you know which log files we require and where they are located.

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks I have some more threshold testing to perform before filing an SR, plus the turnaround time in the forums is awesome.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great. We look forward to seeing more feedback!

0 Kudos
jennyberglund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With the new public beta build of Fusion, this script is now available.

After installation, it can be found in:

/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support-mac.tool

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

It would be really helpful for the script to be called exactly "vm-support" as it is on VMware Server and VMware ESX Server.

It also would be helpful for the location of this script to be documented in the Release Notes and anytime Fusion asks to submit logs.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Richard, I couldn't agree more with you. Please file a bug so this request does not fall into the cracks. This is so easy to fix, there is no reason for us not to.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Check the support queue. This was my first SR! SR # 346464 assigned to Charles. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

The .tool extension is required so that a double click will execute the script from the finder. Otherwise a user is required to open a terminal and navigate and execute the script using unix commands.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

So long as the vm-support script doesn't require superuser (root) privileges, you're absolutely correct. This is because you won't be prompted for an Administrator's password.

VMware Mac OS Support Script 0.01

You are not root, some system information can't be collected.[/code]

Currently you need to run the script as root (or sudo), otherwise parts of the script will fail as a mortal user (shown above), in which case you'll just have to guide someone how to do this in Terminal or use a sudo GUI wrapper.

I believe some of the files the script tries to collect are only readable by root, has the contents of the script changed recently?

0 Kudos
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

You are indeed correct. Administrator or regular user permissions aren't enough and will result in that warning and some files being missed. Our engineering dept are aware of this,thanks for the heads up.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Please also pass along this tip: there are easy-to-use GUI sudo wrappers, my favorite is Platypus, check out:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12046

or

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19870

You can have a .tool Terminal script with[/i] a prompt for the Administrator's password in a GUI! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos