VMware Communities
apassala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where do deleted files go!?

I can't print on my windows side, so I send files to my Mac via a server connection (smb://my ip address) for printing. From the mac side, I deleted a file in the shared folder and really need it back, but it doesnt appear in either my mac nor windows trash. any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A warning did come up saying the file will be deleted immedialtely, and if it should continue...but I figured it would be MOVED immediately to the trash...

Well you can't say you weren't warned. Being deleted and being moved to the "Trash" and or "Recycle Bin" are not then same thing and as Robert already pointed out with Network Shares files as deleted immediately just as the warning message states.

Anytime a file is deleted whether it been a direct delete or havening been sent to the "Trash" and or "Recycle Bin" and then emptied it the computer, physical or virtual depending on which file system the deleted file was on, it not immediately reboot with the appropriate recovery disc containing the software necessary to undelete or recover the deleted file then from that moment forward the chances for as successful recovery diminish. Even an immediately reboot with the appropriate recovery disc containing the software necessary to undelete or recover the deleted file doesn't guarantee recovery will be successful however it is at that moment the best chance occurs and goes downhill from there.

So if one is not prepared to handle a situation such as this by having the necessary tools at hand and or cannot use another computer to put together the necessary tools to deal with an issue such as this then lets hope one has a backup of the file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
apassala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A warning did come up saying the file will be deleted immedialtely, and if it should continue...but I figured it would be MOVED immediately to the trash...

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How large was the file? The trash can has limitations on size.

Actually, since the shared drive is treated like a network shared drive, files will most likely be deleted immediately. The trash/recycle ONLY affects LOCAL drives.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well you can't say you weren't warned. Being deleted and being moved to the "Trash" and or "Recycle Bin" are not then same thing and as Robert already pointed out with Network Shares files as deleted immediately just as the warning message states.

Anytime a file is deleted whether it been a direct delete or havening been sent to the "Trash" and or "Recycle Bin" and then emptied it the computer, physical or virtual depending on which file system the deleted file was on, it not immediately reboot with the appropriate recovery disc containing the software necessary to undelete or recover the deleted file then from that moment forward the chances for as successful recovery diminish. Even an immediately reboot with the appropriate recovery disc containing the software necessary to undelete or recover the deleted file doesn't guarantee recovery will be successful however it is at that moment the best chance occurs and goes downhill from there.

So if one is not prepared to handle a situation such as this by having the necessary tools at hand and or cannot use another computer to put together the necessary tools to deal with an issue such as this then lets hope one has a backup of the file.

0 Kudos
apassala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did have a backup of the file, but not entirely up to date. Where could I get a good free file recovery program for Mac OS X 10.5.6?

I will make sure not to repeat this mistake...

thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Where could I get a good free file recovery program for Mac OS X 10.5.6?

Not saying there aren't any however I do not know of any free file recovery programs because I have paid for commercial programs.

With Mac's FileSalvage by SubRosaSoft and with Windows Ontrack Data Recovery.