VMware Communities
RedBarron2
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I obtain a copy of Apple Leopard Server software now that Apple has discontinued sales?

Due to a lot of research data requiring legacy software, I need to run Apple Leopard Server or earlier software on Fusion 7.  (OS 9.22 would also be great.)  Unfortunately, Apple has discontinued sales of all pre-Intel software.  Does anyone know a reliable source for these systems?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

You may not like this answer, but eBay may be your best option to buy Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Server. Expect to pay a premium price for it.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Your proposed solution WILL NOT WORK! You will NOT be able to run the old Mac OS "Classic" applications in VMware Fusion with Leopard Server. VMware Fusion emulates "Intel" computers. Intel computers do not support the "Classic" mode. You must run Leopard Server on a true PowerPC Mac to have "Classic" Mac support. (It has been a long time, but I think you will need a Mac OS 9 disk if you want to run "Classic", too.)

--> If you can get by with only PowerPC Mac OS X applications (no "classic" applications), then forget about Leopard Server and buy Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $20.

If you must run old Mac OS "Classic" applications then you have the following choices:

*  You can run up to Mac OS 9.0.4 (but not 9.1 or 9.2 or 9.2.1, for example) under SheepShaver on an Intel Mac. I read that it is technically challenging to make it work. You will not need VMware Fusion or Leopard Server.

* Buy a used PowerPC Mac, ready to run whatever you need. It may be cheaper than 10.5 Leopard Server. I recently donated my parent's old Mac G4.

Here are some useful links:

* Says it contains SheepShaver, Mac OS 9, and works on Yosemite:

https://jamesfriend.com.au/running-hypercard-stack-2014

* Useful Ideas, but old:

VNC, Basilisk II, and SheepShaver: 3 Ways to Run Classic on anIntel Mac

* Details, but old:

How to run Classic (pre OS X) apps on Intel Macs - Mac OS X Hints

Good luck!

RedBarron2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for a very helpful response, even if it is rather disappointing.

0 Kudos
RedBarron2
Contributor
Contributor

If you (or someone you know) happen to have an unwanted copy of 10.5 Server (Leopard), please advise how I can obtain it.  Although perhaps not the best solution, eventually all old machines will stop working, so this will need to be my backup plan.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

I sent you a PM before, offering you my unused copy of Leopard Server, but you ignored it. I just sent another one.

I have an unused copy of Leopard Server for sale, all original in original boxes. PM if interested.

Why am I selling an unused Leopard Server? I bought it for an old original Mac mini 2005. Before installing it, I learned that Leopard Server does not support CardDAV (contacts). Leopard Server only supports CalDav (calendars). Since I needed both, I put the Leopard Server on the shelf and never installed it. Instead I bought a 2012 Intel Mac mini, and run Mavericks Server on it, which supports both CardDav and CalDav.

0 Kudos
RedBarron2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I would like to purchase your software.  However, I don't have the "Points" required by VMWare Community to reply to a PM.  Send me contact information and we can discuss this.

Thank you for your help and your patience.

0 Kudos
RedBarron2
Contributor
Contributor

Sir,

I did not ignore you. I cannot use VMWare PM without paying some sort of

fee . If this does not reach you, then I will check on how much that

³upgrade² will cost to send you a message.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Private Message limitation is based upon forum activity, not payment.  The forum activity requirement is in place to prevent spammers from creating accounts and then instantly spamming every user with their junk mail, malware and phishing mess, which they had done several times in the recent past before the activity requirement was put in place.  Apologies for the trouble.

--

Darius

0 Kudos