VMware Communities
Manatee932
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where are .vmx files? Need to get to BIOS to boot from floppy.

When a new virtual machine is created, a .vmwarevm file is created which contains the virtual machine. I've read that there should also be a corresponding .vmx file that contains settings. I've been searching, but I can't find any .vmx files. I tried creating a new VM to see where its .vmx file was created, but I don't see one anywhere.

The reason I'm trying to find it is:

Just before I left for a multi-week business trip, I created a Vista VM and installed a ton of stuff on it. Then I went away. When I returned, I couldn't remember the password to log into my new VM. I tried all sorts of variations on my "usual" initial passwords, but none works. I must have used something different this time. So... I did some web searching to try to find a way to recover the password. I found tools where you boot from a floppy, it copies your password file, and then you submit it to some engine that may be able to come up with the password. However, since this is a VM, I need to get the VM to boot from the floppy. I couldn't find a way to get to the "virtual" BIOS in the VM. Then I found the instructions for editing the .vmx file to make it stop at the BIOS setup on the next boot, so I can edit the settings to make the vm boot from the floppy. And that brings me to trying to find the .vmx file so I can edit it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Peter

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

: Where to Find Things: Virtual Machine Files

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

: Where to Find Things: Virtual Machine Files

0 Kudos
Manatee932
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I didn't realize the vmwarevm file was a package.

That got me to the .vmx file. I was able to add the entry, and get to the BIOS setup on the next boot. However, even though I put the device group containing the floppy ahead of the group containing the virtual disk in the boot order, it still ignored the floppy (with a bootable disk that I tested on a PC) and went to the virtual disk. So no luck on getting my password file yet. At least I learned something new.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VM is a .vmwarevm bundle not a file. Locate your VM bundle under Documents > Virtual Machine. Right click on the icon (or ctrl-click) and the context menu will appear with the item "Show Package Contents". Choose that. The bundle will open exposing the .vmx, .vmdk, .log files, nvram, etal.

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're fast enough on the BIOS screen, hit Esc to choose the boot device you can pick floppy from that menu without having to change anything in the BIOS