VMware Communities
bcdulaney
Contributor
Contributor

When windows restarts to update the pc why does it never fully restart?

Hey,

The problem I'm having is that when windows restarts within VMWare Fusion it never restarts and the CPU on my MAC is about 17-27 CPU's.

Not sure if that is a high number of not but every time I have to "quit" the process and it manually restarts windows.

I know this is not the optimal way to do this and I'm wondering what the problem may be?

Can you help?

Thanks,

Bryan Dulaney

bryan@finessecapital.com

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What do you see when this happens - where does the restart process fail? Is it at the Windows shutdown screen? At the BIOS POST screen?

Was this virtual machine created in Fusion or imported/converted from another source?

0 Kudos
bcdulaney
Contributor
Contributor

This happens at the BLUE screen when it say "Windows is Shutting Down"

It just says Windows is Shutting Down and it never does anything besides for show that BLUE screen.

Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Was this virtual machine created in Fusion or imported/converted from another source?

0 Kudos
bcdulaney
Contributor
Contributor

This machine was created in Fusion, yes.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This machine was created in Fusion, yes.

In that case I'm not sure what's going on - if it was imported from Parallels, for example, it might be a non-ACPI HAL problem, but that's probably not the case here (unless you used a modified XP install disk). One possibility is that something in the guest is preventing the restart.

One thing to try is to use Virtual Machine > Restart Guest (or hold down the option key and Virtual Machine > Reset Guest - note this is like pulling the power cord on a physical machine and may not be a good idea if Windows is still doing something).

0 Kudos
bcdulaney
Contributor
Contributor

When I restart guest it takes forever to restart .

Do you have a better solution or idea what could be causing this?

0 Kudos