VMware Communities
kethantx
Contributor
Contributor

When will Fusion officially support Monterey?

So iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 dropped today, and I expect Monterey will be released soon - within the next couple of weeks. I run Fusion 12 Pro on my iMac and I would normally upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey when it's released but without knowing about support for Fusion I will have to hold off. I can't find any official status anywhere. Does anyone know what's happening? Will there be a 12 update for Monterey compatibility or a 13 release? What kind of time frame are we looking at? I have an Intel iMac from 2019 so I'm not concerned about M1 support.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The reason you can’t find an official status about how Fusion will support Monterey is that VMware doesn’t comment on future product releases.  Here’s my speculation based on past behavior. There probably will be a new release of Fusion to support Monterey and not an update to 12. Whether that would be a 12.5 release or a 13.0 release is anyone’s guess. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Mikero (Michael Roy, VMware PM for Fusion) weighed in on this today.

We also wanted to take the opportunity, since we’re so close to VMworld which has a bit of a different schedule this year, is to let folks know that we won’t be releasing a “paid upgrade” for either Fusion or Workstation this year as we often have. Instead we will continue to invest in the current shipping versions, and will extend their support periods until December 2022, with new updates starting in October.

Which means to me that I would expect an update to Fusion 12 to support Monterey (on Intel only): Fusion on Apple Silicon is still going to be in tech preview for the time being:

We’re going to be keeping the Public Tech Preview active for at least the rest of this year and likely into spring, and so we won’t be pulling in these changes into our fall release, which means Fusion on Apple silicon is effectively FREE for all users for the time being.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Now that's just cool

0 Kudos
zeromiler
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, running 64GB of Memory to macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1 today, the 29th of October 2021.

I'm running VMware Fusion Professional 12.2.0. 

My Windows 10 VM has unexpectedly shutdown two times, and I've had to restart.  Both times it crashed when I tried to join a Teams meeting on the Windows 10 VM.  I clicked join, and bam, the VM went down with the message "VMware has encountered an error and has shut down Windows."  

But so weird because the first meeting I joined it's all good.  Ended the meeting.  Then later when I go to join the another meeting the shutdown occurs.  I've tried a few more times, and I can duplicate the problem on demand.   I've allowed the Mac to collect the data, and request support from VMware.  

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Please do not post the same issue to multiple threads.

0 Kudos