VMware Communities
rickaustin
Contributor
Contributor

When will Fusion for M1 be released?

When will Fusion for Apple M1 processor be released? When will beta start and how can I participate in beta?

0 Kudos
64 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

VMware does not comment on release dates or content of future releases.
You may want to stay tuned to this forum, as VMware has indicated that they will release a technology preview “this year”. When that tech preview gets released you’ll probably hear it here. But dont expect it to run existing Intel VMs. No virtualization product will do that. 

Consider as well:

macOS Monterey will probably be released in the fall. There is usually Fusion related activity around new a macOS release.
The VMware user conference is coming up in early October. In the past they have made Fusion announcements at the same as the conference. Might be worth keeping you ears to the ground at that time. 
Also see https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2021/04/fusion-on-apple-silicon-progress-update.html

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
rickaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Was just checking in to see what I missed. I had never used anything other than Fusion up to now but finding Parallels to be quite capable to run ARM versions of Ubuntu and Windows 11. No rush now - was just curious.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Don’t expect a future ARM version of Fusion to support Windows 10/11 for ARM until Microsoft changes their EULA to allow sales to other than OEMs and supports the products running on Apple Silicon. Neither of which are true today, a point that Parallels ignores. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
rickaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Let’s ignore Windows ARM for a moment. Ubuntu works on Parallels now and is quite solid. It’s not for VMware or even Parallels to violate EULAs - Parallels does not require the end user to install Windows. They just happen to be ready - now.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Parallels violated the EULA by building the support, and by advertising it, encourages their customers to do the same.

Fusion for M1 is in development.  They've indicated we should see a preview this year, and if past schedules hold, we should see an announcement at their conference, and likely a release concurrent with Monterey.

0 Kudos
rickaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels violated Ubuntu ARM EULA?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Linux is OK.  The EULA that @ColoradoMarmot referenced is Microsoft’s Windows EULAs.  (Particularly the parts around the developers kits needed to develop virtual device drivers and developers preview itself). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
rickaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, so Linux is okay. Then my point above stands (not sure why this discussion keeps getting derailed by Windows - as it is not the point). Parallels is leading the way and Fusion is pretty far behind at this point in delivering any viable solution on Apple M1 ARM processors with no beta / GA release in sight. I have the answer to my original question - thank you all.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Lots of people posting questions here about Fusion on Apple Silicon Macs are expecting Windows VM support. They get wooed by Parallels but don’t realize the technical constraints (ARM virtualization is not x86 emulation so existing VMs won’t run) ot the licensing “wink wink” Parallels gives them (end users can’t currently buy a retail Windows license that will run on ARM architectures).  
Take a look at @Mikero ‘s blog post and you’ll get an idea of what VMware’s thinking. He’s said that the intention was never to be first. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
PhilDeluxe
Contributor
Contributor

I don't care about the technical restraints. My Intel Mac is ageing badly and I'll be updating to an M1 mac as soon as they release more powerful models with higher RAM capacities. If VMWare haven't released a version that supports Windows on ARM by that point then I'll just have to switch to Parallels. I don't need bleeding edge performance in a machine. Windows ARM running some x86 code in emulation mode is going to be absolutely fine. I have a few tools that I *need* to use once or twice a week. I've been a customer of VMWare since the first Fusion version but if they don't offer what I'll need to get my work done then I'll just switch to Parallels. I'd rather not but I can't afford not to have that functionality.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@PhilDeluxe wrote:

If VMWare haven't released a version that supports Windows on ARM by that point... 

Please read and understand... VMware has NOTHING to do with "supporting" this.  It is a MICROSOFT licensing issue!!!  Parallels is encouraging their users to break the law - and I'm surprised they are not being held responsible for it.

P.S.  VMware currently has a tech preview/beta version right now - you should be able to sign up to test it.

0 Kudos
PhilDeluxe
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry, but that is rubbish. VMWare currently has no M1 ARM support. There is no tech preview or beta. Parallels is not encouraging their users to break the law as there are no laws to be broken. Just Microsoft's EULA, which is far from enforceable or legally binding in most countries, mine included. There's nothing for Parallels to be "held responsible for".

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@PhilDeluxe wrote:

I'm sorry, but that is rubbish. VMWare currently has no M1 ARM support. There is no tech preview or beta. Parallels is not encouraging their users to break the law as there are no laws to be broken. Just Microsoft's EULA, which is far from enforceable or legally binding in most countries, mine included. There's nothing for Parallels to be "held responsible for".

Re: tech preview - see the link below:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Private-Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon/ct-p/3010

Re: EULA - I beg to differ, as will several worldwide courts...  But that's a topic for a different debate.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Agreed - Microsoft could easily pull their right to use windows across the board, and it's surprising that they haven't.  

I'm hopeful that indicates that windows 11's EULA will be more M1/VM friendly....but not holding my breath.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately mere mortals like myself can't get to the private Fusion for Apple Silicon community. I guess it's for selected customers.

Hopefully a public tech preview will be forthcoming...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
regelien
Contributor
Contributor

Agree. Would be really appreciated if they could open the M1 Fusion beta up a bit more.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Nothing has started - they're just getting the pieces in place.

0 Kudos
Vihaan_Reyansh
Contributor
Contributor

I thought it was already out and working. Youtuber AndyTalksTech recently demonstrated installing the single use license version on an M1 Mac, then went on to create a Windows 10 VM and installed the x64 version of Windows 10 on it. He posted this on 6th Aug 2021 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_hWKHf1WLs). 

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Total baloney.  He dodges the question and does not show that he is running on an M1 Mac as far as I can see.

0 Kudos