VMware Communities
binaryanomaly
Contributor
Contributor

When can we expect a proper retina display implementation

Hi Vmware

I own one of these macs with the not so new but brilliant and crispy Retina displays. I know that Window has it's own problems with High-DPI but others like paralles managed to solve it as well.

So my question to you:

When can we expect a proper Retina implementation that does some clever scaling etc. to use the advantages of the retina display?

Until then I have to envy my colleagues using parallels because at half the native resolution everything looks just blurry with vmware Smiley Sad

And while your looking at it please also fix that annoying resolution switching issue (fallback to native res) when attaching a beamer or other external display.

Oh and being able to use a second display form vmware to benefit of all the advantages of the new office would be nice as well 😉

Thanks for taking your customers serious and solve these matters!

-binaryanomaly

Tags (3)
22 Replies
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just wanted to add that while we can't talk about future release specifics, this is something that we are working on internally. Thank you very much for reporting the issue! =:)

binaryanomaly
Contributor
Contributor

Good to hear vanRijn and good to know that vmware is actually caring about user feedback - I hope it won't take forever as I've been told this already months ago by vmware support.

Personally I've already switched to your competition (which does a much better job there) because of exactly this issue.

Professionally I have to use vmware and am annoyed everyday anew how bad this is currently being handled. Retina macbooks are after all not brandnew since quite while...

Patiently awaiting the next update (which will hopefully be free...)

0 Kudos
kungfuu72
Contributor
Contributor

Oh and being able to use a second display form vmware to benefit of all the advantages of the new office would be nice as well 😉

Thanks for taking your customers serious and solve these matters!

-binaryanomaly

As far as utilizing all displays in VMWare, you can do that already. Just start your virtual machine, go to View -> and click "Use All Displays in Full Screen". Only Caveat, you have to be in fullscreen mode to do this, which makes sense.

As far as Retina, I somewhat agree. I would like to use a resolution higher than 1400x900 on my main display but when I do set this in Windows my VM mouse pointer is offset from my actual, visible mouse pointer, so I can't function properly in resolutions higher than 1400x900 without my mouse pointer being invisibly offset in the VM!

0 Kudos