VMware Communities
Jdaniels1
Contributor
Contributor

What's up with the New Fusion 5.0 Virtual Machine Library - Where's the docs and Where's the Beef!

First off... I DO really like the direction.

So the new library is buggy, poorly designed, undocumented, and not ready for release.

#1 - Shared Virtual Machines and Virtual Machines

First off - I have two categories of machines.

-Virtual Machines

-Shared Virtual machines

Looks like Workstation- BUT why can't I move machines between them

Where are the docs? I can't find ANY references to the new virtual machine library in help.

Also - when creating a folder it doesn't default to allowing you to rename it. Seriously? Also

Why doesn't a folder view show ALL the machines in BOTH list and icon view? (both show in icon view)

I've always wanted this..but only if it worked!

I'll be at the vmworld sessions next week. I hope you have answers. At least now we're talking about RELEASED software so we can get support.

Justin Daniels

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jdaniels1
Contributor
Contributor

I have opened up a technical support ticket also to address this formally.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you for your feedback. Addressing just one of the issues raised - here's a some information on creating a shared VM - I hope it helps.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100519...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can rename folders in both the list and icon view by clicking the name once  - in the same way as in Finder.

0 Kudos
Jdaniels1
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the replies.

You are correct, Yes, the folders can be renamed. It's just alot of extra clicks and not that elegant.

I part of my post is meaning is that there are a lot of cool new features... but I'm pointing out that this release has a lot of issues and the shipping documentation is lacking.

Dragging a vm from shared to "virtual machines" should be possible. 

For shared vm's - my vm's weren't "shared" - they were all just in a folder on a second hard disk. Half of them showed up in shared and the other half didnt. I can move vms into folders within each category. These VMs are not under my home directory. Not the ones in shared, and not the ones in virtual machines. None of my "shared" vms are in the "shared" folder. So what this is telling me is that there is that it's the permissions on my VM's that make them "shared" perhaps. Many of the machines in question were move over from vShpere or vmware workstation. Most of the ones in question (shared) don't even have a .vmware bundle - so they are just folders.

I've removed all permissions but my own - but the machines still show up under "shared".

It's really annoying to not be able to see all my vm's under one view. The "shared" folder with no easy way to "unshare" the VM's is the thing I am finding most unpolished.

I've tried removing and re opening...nothing.

So what is the process to "unshare" a vm that isn't under the shared folder... my vm's don't have any permissions on them similar to the article.

0 Kudos
Jdaniels1
Contributor
Contributor

I did find that setting "everyone" to read only despite the file location and re-importing the file moves it back up into "virtual machines" from shared.

Progress... but still hugely annoying!

I still have issues with the views- list view of a folder doesn't show all the vm's in it in the empty space.

0 Kudos