VMware Communities
NYBud
Contributor
Contributor

What is Upgrade Virtual Machine in Fusion 1.1.3

Hi -

Question for you - What is the virtual machine menu item "upgrade Virtual Machine"?

from some poking around, I thought I saw a table that shows all Fusion 1.x VM's are created with virt. hardware version 6... other vmware products use different / lower virt. hardware versions.

Since I originally created my Windows Vista Bootcamp VM, from the bootcamp partition on my Macbook under VMWare Fusion 1.1.0 or 1.1.1... cant remember which ( it was a retail CD copy, not a beta or RC)

and from the table I saw "fusion 1.x = Hdw Version 6", I would think that my Vista bootcamp VM should have been created in hardware version 6 from the beginning.

I've since done 2 upgrades to Fusion (1.1.2 and now running 1.1.3 Fusion), they all should be Hardware version 6 as well.

Thus, my question, shouldn't I already be at version 6, and therefore why do i have an option "upgrade virtual machine", when I'm thinking that's the highest?

(and what will selecting "upgrade Virtual machine" do on my system should I attempt it?)

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Cheers,

Craig

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Virtual Machine Compatibility and Virtual Hardware Versions > Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version

0 Kudos
NYBud
Contributor
Contributor

I dont have my Mac with me right now (and I'll check it out when i get home), but isn't that the document that shows you a table of each vmware product, and what version of the virtual hardware it runs? If so, it seems to say that ALL verisons of Fusion 1.x are virt. hardware version 6. So I should already be running Ver 6. So, if i select "upgrade vm", it will upgrade me from ver. 6 to ver. 6? Unless I'm not understanding something. Are there "sub-levels" for each release of Fusion? e.g. Fusion 1.1.1 is hdw 6.1, and fusion 1.1.3 is hdw 6.3... or something like that?

Thank you

-Craig

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I dont have my Mac with me right now (and I'll check it out when i get home), but isn't that the document that shows you a table of each vmware product, and what version of the virtual hardware it runs?

No that is VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Virtual Machine Compatibility and Virtual Hardware Versions and I'm telling you to read "Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version" which is not on the same page as the Table.

it seems to say that ALL verisons of Fusion 1.x are virt. hardware version 6. So I should already be running Ver 6. So, if i select "upgrade vm", it will upgrade me from ver. 6 to ver. 6? Unless I'm not understanding something. Are there "sub-levels" for each release of Fusion? e.g. Fusion 1.1.1 is hdw 6.1, and fusion 1.1.3 is hdw 6.3... or something like that?

The documentation under "Virtual Hardware Version" is quite explicit in that it states "Virtual machines created in VMware Fusion have virtual hardware version 6. All VMware Fusion features are enabled for version 6 virtual machines." and this it true for all Fusion 1.x Virtual Machine's however Fusion 2.0 uses version 7 although keep in mind that some aspects of the Fusion 1.x documentation is only applicable to Fusion 1.x and there have been many changes in Fusion 2.0.On that same page that has the Table it states "You can also run virtual machines with virtual hardware version 3, 4, and 5 in VMware Fusion. However, to see and use all VMware Fusion features (including USB 2.0 and accelerated 3-D graphics), upgrade virtual hardware version 3, 4, or 5 virtual machines to version 6. See Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version."

The "Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version" states:

Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version

Upgrading the virtual machine hardware version is an irreversible operation that makes your virtual machine incompatible with versions of VMware software products that do not support virtual hardware version 6. VMware strongly recommends that you make a backup copy of your virtual machine’s virtual disk files before proceeding. The virtual disk files (any files with the extension .vmdk) are stored in your virtual machine directory.

To upgrade a virtual machine’s hardware version

1 Open the virtual machine without powering it on.

See To open a virtual machine without powering on. If the virtual machine is already powered on or suspended, power it off. You cannot upgrade the virtual machine’s hardware version while the virtual machine is powered on or suspended.

2 Choose Virtual Machine > Upgrade Virtual Machine.

VMware Fusion upgrades the virtual machine to virtual hardware version 6.

============

Does this make it any clearer? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
NYBud
Contributor
Contributor

Dear WoodyZ

Gulp... sorry, but it did not. I previously had read the section on "how to upgrade the vm"... and the warnings about backing up the files, it's irreversible, and how it is incompatible with lower levels, etc. That part was resonably clear... also the procedure was ok, as you mentioned... also pretty clear --- shutdown the VM, select it, click settings, and do the menu item "upgrade VM"

I already have the "accellerated 3D graphics" option checked. I believe I have usb 2.0 support. Once again I'll check when at home. Also, since this VM points to my bootcamp partition, I don't know if it has virtual disk files to backup (.VMDK). I guess what I'm confused about, is, What hardware version is my bootcamp's VM right now? And then, 2nd, if I perform the "upgrade VM" (since it's not grey-ed out), what version will it be afterwards. (Is there a way to display what Hardware level a VM is currently defined as?)

I'm still thinking / assuming that I must already be at ver. 6, since I created the bootcamp partition's VM under Fusion 1.1.0 (or 1.1.1) appox. 9 months ago. I think you're agreeing with me on that (from your reply below). Since then, I've upgraded Fusion to 1.1.2 and then to 1.1.3 (not recently, but over time), so therefore, it should still be ver. 6. So, I'm not seeing how this has anything to do with Fusion 2.0 Beta/RC (which I have not yet installed) nor Hardware level 7.

Perhaps my Subject should have been re-titled to - "What hardware level will my VM be, before & after, doing a 'Upgrade VM' ? "

Thanks for your patience.

-Craig

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At the present time the latest version of Fusion 1.x is 1.1.3 and some of the information in the Help File is no longer accurate although it was at the time of its release and the specific statement I'm referring to is:

"Virtual machines created in VMware Fusion have virtual hardware version 6. All VMware Fusion features are enabled for version 6 virtual machines."

Which means any Virtual Machine created with VMware Fusion 1.x is running version 6 hardware and is why I added not VMware Fusion 2.0 as it uses version 7 hardware!So if all you have ever done is use Fusion 1.x to create Virtual Machines then those created with Fusion 1.x are using version 6 hardware!

Now if you have an existing Virtual Machine created in a different VMware Product that is as the documentation states:

"You can also run virtual machines with virtual hardware version 3, 4, and 5 in VMware Fusion. However, to see and use all VMware Fusion features (including USB 2.0 and accelerated 3-D graphics), upgrade virtual hardware version 3, 4, or 5 virtual machines to version 6. See Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version."

Which means if you what to utilize all of the features of Fusion 1.x's hardware then you will have to upgrade the hardware version in those version 3, 4, or 5 virtual machines to version 6 and why it tells you to:

"See Upgrading a Virtual Machine’s Virtual Hardware Version."

So if your Virtual Machine is already at version 6 which if created by Fusion 1.x it is then you can just ignore the Virtual Machine > Upgrade Virtual Machine command!

Other then that the only other thing I'm going to say is why don't you just click the Virtual Machine > Upgrade Virtual Machine command and see what it does?! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
NYBud
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ...

Your confirming my suspicions that I should be at version 6 already and that there is nothing higher to upgrade to under fusion 1.1.3... and for some unexplained reason i have the menu item available to me which claims it will do an upgrade. Makes no sense at all... but at least we both I think we're in agreement! Smiley Happy

(if it does nothing, it should be grey'ed out like "suspend" is for bootcamp partitions)

Have a good one!

-Craig

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

and for some unexplained reason i have the menu item available to me which claims it will do an upgrade. Makes no sense at all... but at least we both I think we're in agreement! Smiley Happy

(if it does nothing, it should be grey'ed out like "suspend" is for bootcamp partitions)

The Virtual Machine > Upgrade Virtual Machine command is there for Virtual Machine that one ports from another VMware Product where the hardware version in thoses are version 3, 4, or 5 and not for a Virtual Machine created in Fusion 1.x.

Suspend and Snapshot are not available to a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine because of an explicit settings in the Boot Camp partition.vmx configuration file and while the hardware version is also in that file however IIRC it is not being read in conjunction with the Virtual Machine > Upgrade Virtual Machine command until that command is executed.

I don't disagree that it should be grayed out however it is not the only menu item that exhibits the same behavior. Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools is another command that in spite of having VMware Tools installed in a Virtual Machine it is not grayed out and by logical order it should be.

These menu item state issues have been discussed before so if you really what to know why VMware does not code it to conform to logical order it's been covered and a search of the forums should yield more specifics. I can tell you that as a programmer I understand why these menu item state anomalies exist however I believe they could be coded to conform although it would not be fun to have to code it and I wouldn't want to be the one to have to do it either. Smiley Happy

IIRC If you click Virtual Machine > Upgrade Virtual Machine on a Fusion 1.x Virtual Machine it will just tell you it doesn't need to be upgraded or something to that effect. I don't have Fusion 1.x installed at the present time to verify the exact wording.

0 Kudos