VMware Communities
tonydenson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What does this error message mean

When I try to start up my Virtual Machine I get "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded."

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

@ezzeldin72: Considering this is the Fusion forum, we'll presume the user is using VMware Fusion Smiley Wink

@tonydenson: The error means the kernel modules are not loaded right now. They could have crashed, or there could be a version discrepancy.

Try just rebooting the Mac.

If it persists, Fusion might need to be reinstalled. Note that reinstalling won't affect your Virtual Machines in any way.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

is it running on workstation or ESX?

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

@ezzeldin72: Considering this is the Fusion forum, we'll presume the user is using VMware Fusion Smiley Wink

@tonydenson: The error means the kernel modules are not loaded right now. They could have crashed, or there could be a version discrepancy.

If it persists, Fusion might need to be reinstalled. Note that reinstalling won't affect your Virtual Machines in any way.

-
0 Kudos
tonydenson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If it persists, Fusion might need to be reinstalled. Note that reinstalling won't affect your Virtual Machines. in any way.

Thanks. As it happens I had just reinstalled VM Fusion before seeing your post and it fixed it.

Apologies for posting incorrectly, but frankly as an occasional user I have always found this website very confusing.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Oh, I see what happened... the Moderators moved the post... That's why it looked confusing Smiley Wink

No worries, glad you were able to sort this out... 😃

-
0 Kudos
Komiksulo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this error ocurring after I downgraded my user account from "administrator' to just a standard user (I unchecked the box in the account's settings that allowed me to administer the computer). Checking the box again made the error go away. It seems that VMWare Fusion required some sort of administrative permissions to run virtual machines. Is it possible to set it up so that it can be run from a non-administrator account?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I just tested to be sure, but I had no issues after unchecking the 'allow this user to administer the computer'.

So, a non-admin account should indeed be able to run VM's.

Are you using BootCamp?

Would you mind posting the output of Help > Collect Support Information, taken right after you make the error message appear?

-
0 Kudos
tonydenson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tested to be sure, but I had no issues after unchecking the 'allow this user to administer the computer'.

So, a non-admin account should indeed be able to run VM's.

Are you using BootCamp?

Would you mind posting the output of Help > Collect Support Information, taken right after you make the error message appear?

I'm afraid I have already reinstalled VM Fusion and I cannot reproduce the error.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Duly noted.

The error message is a symptom of something else going wrong, so there could be a number of reasons why someone would see that, be it permissions, corruption, or plain old missing files.

Either way, glad to hear it hasn't resurfaced after reinstalling 😃

-
0 Kudos
Komiksulo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems I was a little premature. On my main computer, I unchecked the checkbox, then rechecked it, and still got the error. From reading around, it seems I need to reinstall VMWare?

0 Kudos
Komiksulo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I reinstalled Fusion and now can run it and VMs in a standard user account.

0 Kudos