VMware Communities
RobNovak
Contributor
Contributor

What difference should we expect in NIC speed?

My office just got a new fiber Internet connection. I connected directly to the router with a wire and ran a test at speedtest.net, in Firefox, in both OSX and in my XP guest VM. I consistently received 13000 kb/s up and 9000 kb/s down using the OSX side. On the guest VM, I consistently saw 2000 kb/s down and about 900 kb/s up.

Is this normal?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gkhairallah
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. sort of... Looking at my NIC speed settings on VMWare fusion, I only have "Auto Detect" ... 10 and 100 Half and Full Duplex, but no 1000 Half and Full, even though my host is a confirmed 1000 Mbit connection... any ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My understanding is that you can ignore the reported guest NIC speed settings, we'll use faster speeds when possible.

Rob, what network mode are you using? Bridged or NAT?

0 Kudos
gkhairallah
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. I played around with it, and installed the latest VMWare tools, and I'm reporting 1Gbit. though the NIC speed settings in the NIC Config still only show max 100Mbit Full Duplex, without 1000Mbit , but in the balloon status message of the NIC it does say 1Gbit connection ... and I noticed the speed difference, so I think I'm set.

Thanks etung... !

0 Kudos