VMware Communities
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

What could have gone wrong with my Internet Access? And how do I fix it?

Have an iMac (Leopad OS) and have Network set up in Fusion as NAT Ethernet amd have enabled Internet Sharing in Mac Preferences (Sharing). I've never had a problem before and now, out of the blue, I cannot access the Internet using Internet Explorer in the Windows Environment. The Network shows to be OK; but when I click on IE I get the Error Mssg that no connection to the Internet is currently available or cannot connect to server. While I have no problem on the Mac side.

Anyone have a clue as to what has happened & how I can fix this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

When in the VM, open a command prompt in Windows. Run the following

ipconfig /all

What is it saying about the IP address, the default gateway and the DNS servers?

It's not common to see Internet Sharing configured on your Mac. It is not needed for Fusion to run and access the network in either bridged or NAT modes. Why is it configured?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Technogeezer (love your handle); but when I tried to run ipconfig/all in Command Prompt, I got the following response: ipconfig is not recogized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Since my Mac is hard wired via Ethernet Wire to my WIRELESS ROUTER, the Mac and the VM PC share the same static IP address.

I could not figure out why the Internet Connection got messed up on the VM PC side. I had been fiddling around with some settings and didn't know where I'd gone wrong. Finally, I just decided to save my Quicken Backup Data on the Mac Side and went back to the saved snapshot that was of a time prior to the Internet Connection problem which fixed everything and then I just dragged the Quicken Backup Data back into the PC & reopened Quicken from the saved backup.

Looking back into everything now, I do have the Share Internet Connection OFF on the Mac side; but on the PC side it shows up as follows: VMware>Settings>Network, This Network Adaptor is configured to: >share the host's internet connection (NAT).

So all's well again & I'll just have to stop experimenting around and getting myself into trouble.

Thank you from the Granny to the Geezer.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I got the following response: ipconfig is not recogized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.*

Are you running XP or Vista?

Looking back into everything now, I do have the Share Internet Connection OFF on the Mac side; but on the PC side it shows up as follows: VMware>Settings>Network, This Network Adaptor is configured to: >share the host's internet connection (NAT).

OK, now I understand your comments about sharing. And this looks OK.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos