VMware Communities
BWatCS
Contributor
Contributor

Weird problems with SSHFS over Private To My Mac vnic, but not with Autodetect bridged vnic

I'm running an Ubuntu 12.04 guest under Fusion 6.03 pro.

eth0 on the guest is a "Private to my Mac" interface, which I've static set the IP address in /etc/network/interfaces

eth1 on the guest is "Autodetect" under bridged networking and is DHCP

I can SSH from my mac to my VM on the private nic (172.16.52.10 guest, 172.16.52.1 mac) or the bridged nic (192.168.1.x depending on DHCP). The same works in reverse.

I'm trying to mount a folder from my mac in the guest using SSHFS.

When I try to do it over the private interface:

sudo sshfs me@172.16.52.1:/Users/me/testfolder /var/www/testfolder -o uid=33 -o gid=33 -o allow_other

I get:

read: Connection reset by peer

But if I execute the same command, but on the bridged interface:

sudo sshfs me@192.168.1.111:/Users/me/testfolder /var/www/testfolder -o uid=33 -o gid=33 -o allow_other

it works just fine!

There are no iptables set up or anything like that. Again, I can SSH to 172.16.52.1 just fine.

What I'm trying to do is get the private vnic consistent across several Fusion installations, so I did change my ip range per this article:

VMware KB: Modifying the DHCP settings of vmnet1 and vmnet8 in Fusion

I'm not sure if/how that would affect things, but it's the only thing I can think of that might be causing this. Is there some sort of "private to my mac" firewall or configuration that I missed?

I tried putting eth0 back to DHCP mode and trying the sshfs command with the ip it picked up (172.16.52.129) and that didn't work.

I switched eth0 to Share with my mac (NAT mode) and it worked fine too. It's something about that Private to my Mac interface.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BWatCS
Contributor
Contributor

Replying to my own thread - this is definitely related to changing the subnet the Private To Mac (vmnet0) uses. I managed to find what my original range was, set it back, and the problem disappeared.

Maybe someone from VMWare will see this and figure out the bug? It'd be nice to unify all my vmnet0 subnets across all the Fusion instances and have it work right. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos