VMware Communities
riccoho
Contributor
Contributor

Weird mouse movement in Windows 10 VM in VMware Fusion 8.5 under Sierra

I have started to evaluate VMware Fusion 8.5 in my Mac. I installed a Windows 10 VM and found out that the mouse cursor is not smooth if Logitech MX Master is used. The cursor moves slowly and suddenly turns quick and then slowly...

However, the cursor movement seems to be fine if I use the Apple Magic Mouse or the internal trackpad. Is there any configuration I can solve this matter? Thank you.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi riccoho,

How did you connect the mouse to VM? via Bluetooth or USB?

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
bjru
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem with my MX Master mouse. I've connected it with bluetooth. As soon I go into fullscreen the mouse is suddenly slow. The same behaviour is also in the VMWare Horizion Client.

VMWare Fusion 8.5.1

macOS Sierra 10.12.1

0 Kudos
riccoho
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rick,

No it's connected to my macOS via USB instead of being a device in the VM.

Ricco

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi riccoho,

Would you please try all the options in VMWare Fusion-->Preferences-->Gaming and see if it helps?

If it still does not work, would you please provide the 'vmware-vmfusion.log' (You can find it from ~/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/)

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
riccoho
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rick,

I tried both options:

- Never optimise mouse for games: same as Auto Detect

- Always optimise mouse for games: the cursor is running very slowly and cannot escape from the VM unless I use the hotkey to release it

And I just found that the problem only occurs when the changed the "Pointer speed" in Logitech Options (tuned.png). If I restore the Pointer speed to default (default.png), the problem will go away. (My fault, it's still the same no matter which configuration I use) And the logs are attached for your reference (logs.zip).

Thank you.

Ricco

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks Ricco, we have reported your problem to Fusion development team and hopefully it can get fixed soon.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
goatcatcher
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here as well. Also bluetooth, whether fullscreen or not. Half the time the mouse movement's normal; the other half it's painfully slow. The cursor also frequently becomes enlarged as it does in MacOS when you move the mouse quickly to locate it, even though it's being moved far slower than would initiate this behaviour in MacOS.

Don't know whether it's an OS update, Fusion update or Logitech Options update that's done this but it's incredibly frustrating. Yes, I can turn on the gaming setting for the mouse, which fixes it, but that is inconvenient and not how the app is supposed to work.

MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

VMWare Fusion 8.5.1

Windows 10 VM.

Logitech Options 6.35.142

0 Kudos
gomatt
Contributor
Contributor

OMG FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE with this issue!

I'm at the end of the road with this. It's HORRIBLE to use. Is it MacOS Sierra? What is it?

It's so bad I'm going to downgrade mac and screw sierra. I also did bootcamp, also horrible solution, that's why I bought vmware fusion.

Why is everything new these days WORSE then the product it replaces? I don't get what is going on.

Please update us VMWARE! The mouse accelerates decelerates at variable rates with USB mouse. It makes my full time job in excel a nightmare. I already had a breakdown because of this.

NOTE: This happens on Windows 7 64x and Windows 10 64x, doesn't matter on external screen or what settings are changed.

0 Kudos
gomatt
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
blesio
Contributor
Contributor

Did this get fixed? I'm experiencing a similar issue in Mojave and the latest Vmware Fusion with WIndows 7 or Windows 10, the mouse doesn't seem to work the same as in Mojave, I can't really explain this but inside Fusion... something is wrong with the mouse, I seldom click what I want, it's like no precision in moving... can't really explain this.

0 Kudos
PhillSimonds
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue with MX Master + VMWare fusion. I'm in a windows VM frequently to make diagrams, and it's quite a painful experience. I've had to migrate to a different mouse while I'm working in VMWare. I really hope the VMWare devs fix this soon. My specs are as follows:

MXMaster

VMWare Fusion 11.02 (10952296)

Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2016

OSX Mojave version 10.14.3

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Radeon Pro 460 4096MB

0 Kudos
SebastianBr
Contributor
Contributor

I recently started noticing the same behavior in VMware Fusion and vSphere VMware Remote Console.

macOS Mojave 10.14.3

15 inch 2018 mbpr

VMware Fusion 10.1.5

VMwarer Remote Console 10.0.4 (11818843)

Logitech MX Master

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'd first try upgrading to Fusion 11 - Fusion 10 isn't fully compatible or supported on Mojave.

0 Kudos
ekidwell
Contributor
Contributor

I was having this problem in VMWare Fusion 11.5.0 with macOS Catalina. I was able to solve it:

- Go to Settings -> USB & Bluetooth

- Uncheck the "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows"

I have both a Bluetooth Magic Mouse AND a 3-button/wheel USB mouse hooked up, as well as a Bluetooth Trackpad. Bluetooth mouse still works in VMware Fusion.

I would guess that the problem is that VMware Fusion is getting pointer data in duplicate:

- MacOS is reporting the pointer movement

- AND because the Bluetooth device is shared with Windows, Bluetooth data is also being sent.

- This is JUST A GUESS.

0 Kudos
mike_yung
Contributor
Contributor

Also having this problem.  Apple host's trackpad works fine in my VM full screen or windows.  When I plug my Microsoft USB mouse into the host is works fine on my VM when it's in a windows but in full screen, it's choppy like everyone else is describing.  Running v11.5.6. 

0 Kudos