VMware Communities
soffa22
Contributor
Contributor

Webcam on VMware Fusion with Windows 11 ARM

I have VMware Fusion 13 running on a Macbook Pro M2 with MacOs Ventura. When I first installed Windows 11 Arm version everything worked (after setting up drivers, installing VMware Tools and so on). Webcam on Windows worked fine. 

Suddenly this is not working anymore and I am not 100% sure when it happened. It might be an update to Ventura or update to Fusion 13.0.1, but since then I have not been able to get my webcam to work in Windows anymore. In Devices in Windows Settings I see the webcam as "VMware virtual USB video device" but below it I see "Driver error". 

I have tried to remove and add it again, remove it from VMware and add it, uninstall and reinstall VMware Tools and all other tricks I can think of. 

Is this a common problem other people have too? Anyone has any suggestions? 

13 Replies
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

For what it's worth.

I don't have a system with a built-in webcam. I have a Mac mini M1 (2020) w/ Ventura 13.4 and a very vanilla USB webcam. That device is configured to my Windows 11 ARM 22H2 22621.1702 VM as the Cameral device, and the VM sees it as the VMware virtual USB video device. It seems to work fine when check the device in Windows Settings, and through the Zoom app.

VMware Tools shouldn't have anything to do with the issue because there are no VMware Tools other than VMware network and video card drivers. There's no VMware-provided webcam driver. The Vmware virtual USB video device  is using the built-in Microsoft video driver.

One thought - have you checked macOS System Settings > Security & Privacy > Camera to make sure that VMware Fusion has access to the MacBook's camera?

Which build of Windows 11 ARM are you using ?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Mac mini 2020/Ventura/2023 TP, Mac mini 2014/Monterey/Fusion 13,
Dell Latitude E6410/Windows 10/Workstation Pro 17
0 Kudos
soffa22
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick reply. I should have mentioned that I am trying to get the built in camera to work. But good to know that VMware Tools is not involved here, one less thing to debug back and forth. 

One thought - have you checked macOS System Settings > Security & Privacy > Camera to make sure that VMware Fusion has access to the MacBook's camera?

Yeah, that is done too. 

Which build of Windows 11 ARM are you using ?

I am running Windows 11 Pro version 22H2. Current OS build is 22621.1702. I keep it updated 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

Just FYI - I'm running Fusion 13.0.2. 

Did you try a complete uninstall of Fusion 13 per KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 -  making sure you get all the files in /Library and ~/Library (your account's library folder). Then reboot and reinstall Fusion 13 (13.0.2). 

Any AV running on either the host or guest (other than Microsoft's built-in AV on Windows) and is either the host or guest under the control of a corporate MDM solution?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
soffa22
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to do that just now (exactly as in the article), but unfortunately I still have same issue. I also tried to create a new VM from the same ISO I used before (when it worked for a while) but also here it did not work. So I guess it is not the version of Windows that is the problem, but hard to know about the Webcam driver as that is loaded from Windows Update. 

In Devices and printers I see that both the desktop and the webcam has an exclamation mark to it (see picture). Seems like some USB issues with my VM somehow. I am unable to repair anything though, so unsure what is going on.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

Could you post the vmware.log file found in the VM’s bundle after you shut the VM down? Perhaps it’ll give us a clue whats going on. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
soffa22
Contributor
Contributor

Sure. File attached. And again thank you for helping out 🙂 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

Nothing immediately jumps out on the logs.

Have you seen https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145940 ? I wonder if it might help you - I don't know if the MacBook Pro integrated webcam can be assigned as a USB device, though.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Two thoughts:

There have been webcam issues in guests for years, so this may just be part of that.  And I seem to recall that the internal webcam is not supported (but that might have just been the tech preview).

0 Kudos
soffa22
Contributor
Contributor

I see. It is strange as the internal webcam has always worked for me on VMware Fusion, even through many versions of Macbooks, Windows and Fusion. Although I did do a test where I switched to using my iPhone as webcam in my VM and surprisingly enough that worked without a hitch. I guess I can live with that solution, although the internal cam was more convenient. 

0 Kudos
JianyuTan
Contributor
Contributor

Although the driver can recognize it normally when using the iPhone's camera, the actual content is divided into two repeated images. I really hope this issue is seriously investigated and resolved.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Keep in mind that ARM support for windows is severely limited at the moment.  Best guess is that you'll need to wait for the real tools release (at this point I suspect that'll be after WWDC).

0 Kudos
RajDas115
Contributor
Contributor

Any possible solution you got? i'M ALSO facing same problem. Can't find anyway to make the **bleep** webcam work. i dont have an iphone to use it as webcam. Please let me know if you find any possible solution.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

Two suggestions

• Open a support ticket with VMware if you can. That will ensure that the issue is known by VMware’s engineers.
  • Try the 2023 Tech Preview and see if the problem still exists. If so, drop a note in the 2023 Tech Preview discussions forum or report it directly to VMware using the email address that’s in the tech preview testing guide. VMware folks seem to be keeping an eye on issues with the Tech Preview.
- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos