VMware Communities
cdube
Contributor
Contributor

Want to move/transfer a virtual machine to a new Mac

I just got a new MacBook Pro and am looking to move a virtual machine (Windows XP) from my previous iMac. The Migration Assistant gave me the error that the "Windows XP Home Edition.vmdk" could not be copied because it is too large. Try copying this file manually in Finder. I then tried that but that failed as well. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to reinstall Windows XP (and all the apps) on my new Mac to create a new virtual machine?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Leauki
Contributor
Contributor

The VM is a normal folder. You should be able to copy it normally. Have you verified that there is enough disk space? How exactly did it "fail" when you tried copying it in the Finder?

0 Kudos
cdube
Contributor
Contributor

Leauki,

Thanks for the response.  I don't recall exactly what the error was.  I had set up the two machines with a Firewire connection (with the iMac booted up as a slave/target).  It had gotten through 30 of 32 Gbs when it came up with an error on the copy.

So on my new Macbook, I've got what seems to be a corrupted VM file.  Originally I had try to copy the VM machine ontop of that file.  I probably should just delete the VM file that exists and retry that copy again.  Is it simply a matter of copying the "vmdk" file?  If I do that will Fusion now be able to see this new VM or is there more that needs to be done?

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
Leauki
Contributor
Contributor

Unless I confuse things now, the "vmdk file" is actually a folder containing the VM settings file as well as the disk image file.

You need to copy that entire folder. Finder will most likely display it as a single file for your convenience.

Delete the corrupt copy and try again. Best try with Ethernet rather than Firewire. (I have no idea which is faster but Ethernet is more conventional.)

There is nothing else to be done. VMWare will notice the "new (copied) VM when you doubleclick and start it. After that it will (I think) appear in the VM list. It's really no problem.

Good luck!

0 Kudos