VMware Communities
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Want to dump XP Pro and do a clean install of 7

How can I do the equivilent of a clean install of Win 7? I want to dump XP Pro, install a clean 7 using 64 bit, and then reinstall all my software. On a PC, I just reformat the drive after re doing partitions but, using Fusion 3, I have no idea how to do. My docs are in a shared folder for XP and the Mac. ONLY want to dump Windows files, not the other stuff. PLZ help. And how does one decide how large to make the VM workspace? I see it is currently 100gb. Mac runing Snow.

PLZ help.

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant selecting the version of Windows your using and if you're using upgrade media then use the information in "[Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media|http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp]" to install/activate it.

You can delete the Windows XP Virtual Machine after you've backed up your user data and have Windows 7 up and running unless you don't have enough room to have both. Just ctr-click the target Virtual Machine on the Virtual Machine Library and select Delete.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can run Windows 7, because VMware presents a different set of video and network drivers that are compatible with that OS. And there are both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers available since VMware fully supports Windows 7. For example in my copy of Windows 6 x64, VMware has virtual Intel/PRO 1000 network adapter and a VMware WDDM video driver for Aero support.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant selecting the version of Windows your using and if you're using upgrade media then use the information in "[Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media|http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp]" to install/activate it.

You can delete the Windows XP Virtual Machine after you've backed up your user data and have Windows 7 up and running unless you don't have enough room to have both. Just ctr-click the target Virtual Machine on the Virtual Machine Library and select Delete.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not think that would give me a clean install. I would still have vestiges of XP, no? I want to dump ALL of XP (32 bit) and go fresh with 7 (64 bit). I need to know what to delete to get rid of ALL XP stuff. And, yes, I know I can capture settings, etc., with the easy transfer but I am more concerned about how to get rid of ALL of XP Pro.

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not think that would give me a clean install. I would still have vestiges of XP, no? I want to dump ALL of XP (32 bit) and go fresh with 7 (64 bit). I need to know what to delete to get rid of ALL XP stuff. And, yes, I know I can capture settings, etc., with the easy transfer but I am more concerned about how to get rid of ALL of XP Pro.

Overlooking transferring settings, WoodyZ and I are consistent in deleting your XP machine will remove all vestiges of XP off your system. This is done from the Window > VIrtual Machine Library menu, clicking on your current XP machine then using the delete icon. This deletes your "all of XP Pro" wholly.

0 Kudos
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, next logical question is: Can I make a new VM for 7, 64 bit, and then move all my docs from the shared path Shared Folder on 'vmware-host' (Z:) because my fear is that I will delete the VM for XP and loose everything in the Shared Folder on 'vmware-host' (Z:)

which I REALLY do not want to loose. Or, if I delete the VM for XP, will the Shared Folder on 'vmware-host' (Z:) still be there??

This is great, I feel like we are getting close to getting me thru this.

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ok, next logical question is: Can I make a new VM for 7, 64 bit, and then move all my docs from the shared path Shared Folder on 'vmware-host' (Z:) because my fear is that I will delete the VM for XP and loose everything in the Shared Folder on 'vmware-host' (Z:)

which I REALLY do not want to . Or, if I delete the VM for XP, will the Shared Folder on 'vmware-host' (Z:) still be there??

The contents of Shared Folders are not deleted as those files reside on your OS X host. Deleting XP Pro would only get rid of the machine itself and the files in the virtual hard disk, again not stuff in shared folders. If you're paranoid, make a back up of your shared folders in OS X.

When you create a new Win 7 machine with File > New, you will re-establish a shared folder to the same location that XP was sharing with and your files will be there.

0 Kudos
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since I just put a 640gb drive in and have plenty of space, Can I put 7 on b4 deleting the VM for XP? And will the 7 (64bit) see my XP for upgrade purposes??

Thanks so much for your help!!

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since I just put a 640gb drive in and have plenty of space, Can I put 7 on b4 deleting the VM for XP? And will the 7 (64bit) see my XP for upgrade purposes??

You can delete XP Pro anytime before or after installing Win 7. For the purposes of new installaton, Win 7 will be a fresh, clean install. The installation does not and will not know anything about your previous XP Pro installation. If you purchased a Win 7 upgrade disc follow the article WoodyZ referenced above for step-by-step help.

0 Kudos
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Went to that upgrade info but problem is I am going from 32 bit in XP Pro to 64 in Win 7. Will the process be the same??

Do I really need to migrate the files etc., if they will still be there and I can just tell Win 7 where the docs are??

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter just do as I suggested in my first reply...

0 Kudos
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

will the Control-click delete process to dump the XP also delete the items in the shared folder or JUST the Win XP, itself? If not, then I really do not need to back up the files that are in the shared folder, right?

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Generally speaking and is short a VMware Shared Folder is a way to access a folder on the OS X filesystem from within the Guest without going through standard network protocols to achieve the same.

This is no different than if you are accessing a shared folder of one physical computer from another physical computer on your network if you unplug that physical computer and throw it in the trash it doesn't take anything away from the other physical computers that it might been connected to.

So if you're ready to delete the Virtual Machine just delete it and move on to the next step.

The bottom line is regardless of what does or does not occur in any given process you should always ensure that at a minimum all user data whether in a Virtual Machine or on the Host is always backed up at regular intervals and is stored off of the working computer before doing anything that one is unsure of then it really doesn't matter.

cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

installation is in progress. Meanwhile I tried to downsize the 101gb that is for XP Pro 32bit but it says I cannot change it while there are snapshots. I deleted the one and the only thing there is current state. I cannot delete that yet I cannot downsize the 101gb size. Must I do a cleanup first??

BTW Win 7 would not install without XP running til I did NOT put in the serial first. My plan is to then immed. install Win 7 overtop of Win7 like the article said.

Jim in Chicago

0 Kudos
cbssys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ouch. did the double install and it is up but the folder called Shared Folders (vmware-host(Z)) has a red mark through it and my docs do not show up. Re-booted Win7 and it did not help. How to fix??

Tried to add folders to get my (old) documents to show up in Win7. Could not. Finally found it but in a differend shared folder than in XP vm. How can I tell Win7 to change my douments to this network folder. It does not work the same way it did in XP which was very easy to change via properties.

Jim in Chicago.

Message was edited by: cbssys

0 Kudos