VMware Communities
Hacknetik
Contributor
Contributor

WMware Fusion 11.5.3 OS Catalina 10.15.4

Hi,

So I've always been using Virtualbox on my previous Mac with no issue at all besides a little laggy.

I bought a Mac 2 days ago, running Catalina 10.15.4. I thought why not try VMware Fusion since it's a new laptop and I haven't installed any virtualization software. I Downloaded the trial, installed Fusion, everything ran smooth. Proceeded to Installed the OS. I tried to boot and the only thing I see is a black screen.

I've read for hours here on the black screen issue. I can't make it work, the screen recording never showed up. I really want to try Fusion but it looks like I have to go back to Virtualbox :smileyconfused:

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Might be helpful to say which OS (and version) you are trying to install inside the VM, along with details on how you are attempting to install it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You should not have to set the screen recording permissions for VMware Fusion 11.5.x, that's only required for earlier versions.

If you go to apple menu -> system preferences -> security & privacy

On the general tab page, do you see below "Allow apps downloaded" a request for the VMware application and extensions to be allowed?

If yes, then allow there.

If not, then it is best to re-install.

What I would try in your case is:

- drag the installed VMware Fusion from the applications folder to Trash

- install again.

If that still doesn't work, you can try removing the quarantine flags that invoke gatekeeper.

eg.

xattr -l ~/Downloads/VMware-Fusion-11.5.0-14634996.dmg 
   xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/VMware-Fusion-11.5.0-14634996.dmg

and do the reinstall dance again.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Hacknetik
Contributor
Contributor

Kali Linux 2020.1 64bit, Debian 10.X 64 bit

Settings for the VM

2 core

10 000mb RAM

80gb Storage

I can run the Kali installer no problems but as soon as it's completed, I click to start the VM and then it's just a blank screen with a blinking underscore in the upper left corner.

0 Kudos
Hacknetik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it's still not working after trying your method.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you ever see the VMware permission request in the security & privacy panel?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Hacknetik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I see it in:

Camera

Accessibility

Full Disk Access

Files And Folders

EDIT:

I don't see it in General: Apps downloaded from

0 Kudos
Hacknetik
Contributor
Contributor

It's working now.

I uninstalled Fusion, reboot, installed again and now it's working.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos