VMware Communities
rboklewski
Contributor
Contributor

WIRELESS CARD FROM MACBOOK NOT RECOGNIZED...

I HAVE A MACBOOK PRO WITH TIGER LOADED AND AN XP VM, I AM NOT SEEING THE WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION IN NETWORK SETTINGS AT ALL. I ONLY SEE THE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION. DOES VMWARE OR WINDOWS NOT SUPPORT THE BUILT IN WIRELESS CARD OF THE MAC?? IVE BEEN SEARCHING AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND AN ANSWER.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion always presents a wired interface to the guest, regardless of what the Mac is actually using to connect. What you're seeing is expected behavior.

P.S. - I think your caps lock key is broken - you should get that looked at.

0 Kudos
rboklewski
Contributor
Contributor

I see, so even though it says local area connection it can in actuality be a wireless connection. Thanks, Bob

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The guest should see a connection, yes; it just won't know that it's a wireless card.

0 Kudos
SteveDSM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. I keep running into one snag after another. When I go to Fusion settings for "network adapter" and hit the radio button for "Connect directly to the physical network (bridged)" and check the "Connected" box as ssahadev2 suggested I get a window that says

"The network bridge on device /dev/ vmnet0 is not running. The VM will not be able to communicate with the host or other machines..."

Why is that happening?

Thanks for any direction. If I should re-install this software and start over let me know.

Steve

0 Kudos
rboklewski
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like something might be wrong with your lan connection, are you connected to the internet on the mac side?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Another possibility is if there were any earlier errors, such as a postflight error during Fusion's install.

0 Kudos
SteveDSM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rboklewski,

I went back and did connect via ethernet adapter to my work LAN and that

connection is running. Yet, I go back to my original problem,

When I try set set up a connection for my VM using this Odyssey software it

is looking for a wireless adapter before it will search for a wireless

signal. When I go to the "adapters" window, it recognizes the VMware

accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter but no wireless and it will not connect unless

it has a wireless adapter to connect to.

That's all i can figure out now.

STeve

0 Kudos
rboklewski
Contributor
Contributor

Your thinking was the same way as I was thinking. Don't look for the wireless connection on the pc side, i thought the same thing, WHERE IS IT? It isn't there and never will be. Just think in terms of the mac side, if your connected on the mac side via wireless, then your windows virtual machine will be connected. On the windows side, you will only see one local area connection, even though it says local area connection it can be a wireless connection too. So if your connected on the mac just take a look at the pc side and you will see the local area connection is connected. It is a little misleading why the pc side doesn't show a wireless connection, but it is what it is. Does that help to understand it?

0 Kudos
SteveDSM
Contributor
Contributor

I do understand what you are saying, however, this particular app is still

looking for a wireless adapter. It does recognize the VMware PCNet adapter

but won't connect to it because it is not designated as a 802.11 wireless

adapter. Until I can solve that issue, it won't connect wirelessly, i.e. to

my work LAN wireless network, which is important.

Steve

0 Kudos
rboklewski
Contributor
Contributor

So it is an app running under windows that needs to recognize the wireless connection? What is Odyssey used for?

0 Kudos
SteveDSM
Contributor
Contributor

Here is company sales verbiage that explains better than I can:

"Juniper Networks' Odyssey Access Client *is enterprise-class 802.1X access

client software with full support for the advanced WLAN security protocols

that you require for wireless access to your LAN.* Together with an

802.1X-compatible RADIUS server such as Juniper Networks' Odyssey Access

Server or Steel-Belted Radius(R), OAC secures the authentication and

connection of WLAN users, ensuring that only authorized users can connect,

that login credentials will not be compromised, and that data privacy will

be maintained over the wireless link. (A specialized version of OAC includes

a cryptographic module that has been FIPS 140-2 Level 1 Validated, to meet

security requirements of government agencies.) OAC is also an ideal client

for enterprises that are deploying identity-based (wired 802.1X) networking.

OAC fully supports wired 802.1X connections, and saves time and effort by

permitting one-time deployment of wireless and wired 802.1X access. The use

of a single interface for both functions also simplifies user experience and

reduces costs associated with user training."

http://products.wi-fiplanet.com/wifi/software/1099407831.html

0 Kudos
rboklewski
Contributor
Contributor

See I don't think it is possible to utilize any software pertaining to wireless for windows, since the wireless on the windows side is really just sharing the connection with the mac side, hence the reason it doesn't show this connection in the list. Do you have to use this software, is it company policy? Is there a version of this software for the mac? It didn't look like it in the description, but might be something to look into.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'll assume that since you've not replied any further in this thread you finally got it! That is that the only Network Adapter you're going to see via Fusion's Hardware is that of a Wired Network Adapter regardless of how the Host System connects to the Internet or LAN!

Now that you hopefully understand that and if you really do need to use some software package in Windows that requires there to be a WiFi Network Adapter present then you can certainly install a User Supplied USB WiFi Adapter in Windows and utilize it that way as it's not going to happen through Fusion! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos