VMware Communities
H1E2L3P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WINDOWS CD-ROM UPLOAD?

I have just installed Fusion to my MacBook Pro and I have no idea what Windows disk I am expected to install along with it. I have always been a Mac user and need help figuring out what Windows CD-ROM they are referring to. If anyone can help, please do! And would you by any chance know how much this disk should cost?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware forums!

You would need a windows install disk (or image) for the Windows product that you want to install.

This needs to be a FULL release CD, so not a OEM CD that comes with a PC

The price depends on the product (Windows Vista?) that you want to install. You could for example wait on the new Windows 7 beta which comes out in about a week (may 5 IIRC) and use the downloadable image from that as a bases. It will have a time limit though.

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

edit: fixed link

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware forums!

You would need a windows install disk (or image) for the Windows product that you want to install.

This needs to be a FULL release CD, so not a OEM CD that comes with a PC

The price depends on the product (Windows Vista?) that you want to install. You could for example wait on the new Windows 7 beta which comes out in about a week (may 5 IIRC) and use the downloadable image from that as a bases. It will have a time limit though.

--

Wil

edit: fixed link

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
H1E2L3P
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Just to clarify- I will eventually need the install disk regardless, right? I would be looking into Windows XP. Are you saying that any image is temporary (will have a time limit)? And what do you mean by image, exactly? I have a feeling that it means something very different from my understanding (I think of a visual image).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes you will need an install disk for windows XP.

You might be able to get one off of eBay, i don't think you can buy them in the store anymore.

The one thing to watch out for is that the disk should not be specific for hardware (the OEM disk i referred to) an example is a install disk that comes with a DELL machine or one that comes with a HP machine. You need an install disk that can be used with any PC.

Also correct on the image front, sorry i could have been more clear. Instead of a CD it is also possible to use a copy of that CD in file format. We techies call that an image as it is an "image" (a clone) of the CD. Not visually but bitwise and you can instruct VMware Fusion to use that clone instead of the real thing.

Do let me know if you have any more questions or if it is still unclear.

--

Wil