VMware Communities
abbashaiderali
Contributor
Contributor

W2K3 guest won't suspend, just powers off

I'm on Fusion 3.1.3 and have been having this issue for a while.  I have a guest Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition VM that I use periodically and I always end my session by choosing to Suspend it. 

Thing is, every time I come back to it (even the next day), it's powered off and I have to restart the server from scratch.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is it a Bootcamp install? if so, you will not be able to Suspend it.

Also try checking the Fusion preferences. VMware Fusion > Preferences the first one should say, when i close a VM do: X

Make sure it is on Suspend.

0 Kudos
abbashaiderali
Contributor
Contributor

Good question & suggestion.

No, it's an image of my old machine before I migrated over to the Mac.  And I checked the setting, it's set to Suspend.

Abbas

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Can you try reinstall your fusion and VMware tools and see if it helps?

Since tools box has a tools scripts to control the events while power states changed. So I think reinstall fusion and tools should fix your issue.

0 Kudos
abbashaiderali
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  No dice though.  I reinstalled both Fusion and tools and restarted the guest.  Same thing.

I did notice one additional odd thing.  If I suspend and leave the Fusion app open, I can resume just fine.  If I close Fusion entirely (or restart the computer), when I go back to the VM, it's powered off.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Where is you VM stored on your mac?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should open an SR i'm sure the Tech's would love to take a look at the log files and help out as much as they can with this issue.

0 Kudos
abbashaiderali
Contributor
Contributor

I just have one and it's in a folder in Documents / Virtual Machines

0 Kudos
abbashaiderali
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think I get any full support access with the license.... although I guess I should know that or check to be sure 🙂

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you have registered your Fusion 3.x license within 18 months you will have support.

vmware.com/go/sr

If you haven't yet registered

vmware.com/register

0 Kudos
abbashaiderali
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip... I just created the SR.  I'll post resolution/updates here as we go.

0 Kudos