VMware Communities
timcarlisle
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware fusion and Lion OS X USB Support

Hi Everyone,

First post here.  I upgraded my iMac to Lion and installed Fusion and latest update.  the only problem I am having is when I try to install my jump drive it will not install the software and see the drive (running Windows 7 with all of the latest updates).  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help - Tim

0 Kudos
61 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi wurz,

Please sent me a private message with your logs. You can gather the logs by going to the Fusion Help menu and clicking Gather Support Information. I suspect you are running into a different issue but would like to confirm.

0 Kudos
rbush52
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem after upgrading to Lion, Data traveller usb thumb simply will not connect to Windows; windows sound occurs when it is physically connected to usb hub as though windows is connecting but it continues to connect to Mac Mini no matter what; and yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled both fusion and vmware tools to no avail.

So- apparently this is a problem

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

rbush52 wrote: and yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled both fusion and vmware tools to no avail.

So- apparently this is a problem

Did you also do as suggested in Re: Vmware fusion and Lion OS X USB Support?

0 Kudos
rbush52
Contributor
Contributor

I used the terminal approach recommended by Aaron, and now it works. I have never done anything in mac terminal and don't know what any of the commands do or mean; took 5 minutes just to figure out I don't have to type "run".....and I thought DOS was bad.....

but, it worked. Thanks

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brilliant, thanks -- it works!

Btw, this also fixed a similar USB mounting problem with Parallels Desktop 6. May I suggest a new slogan? VMware support: so helpful we even solve our competitors' problems! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
jdoubleu72
Contributor
Contributor

I still have the problem on my MacBook Pro.

This is the output for ls -ld /

drwxr-xr-x  33 root  wheel  1190 Aug 12 15:44 /

Jan Willem

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Jad,

Can you confirm you rebooted after resetting the permissons?

0 Kudos
Mavromatis20111
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to have solved the issue. However, does changing root permissions cause any security issues?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Mavromatis wrote: This seems to have solved the issue.  However, does changing root permissions cause any security issues?

With the / of the drive set to 755 it is not considered a security issue, however if it was 777 then there would be valid security concerns. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
jdoubleu72
Contributor
Contributor

The permissions were right before I started, but I did the commands anyway.

Just rebooted and now it works. (funny actually)

I probably didn't look at the correct screen or something.

But I'm happy it works now.

0 Kudos
Mavromatis20111
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting… problem came back. The only thing I did was install (update) XCODE 4.1 Beta 6. I'm betting this is changing the permissions back. Anyone else that is having this problem using XCODE 4.1 Beta?

0 Kudos
Mavromatis20111
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe it needed just a reboot… works again. Weird.

0 Kudos
AtoZ201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I'm doing testing in between with virtual machines to see if certain programs work (vmware and parallel), my friend uses vmware and when he get problems he ask me t look into it. I found both having issues with Lion at this time.

To start. I started with 10.6.2 and all was working fine. Got some updates and when it reached 10.6.5 i think all failed with USB devices.

I started to replace USBFamily drivers etc. Reinstalled OSX and i got it working through 10.6.8 now after upgrading to LION same thing again.

What i found so far (still working on it) it that it apperas if I connect the USB device in before starting VM it works (from stop state not suspended).

If I start from suspended it does not work.

If i have it connected and reconnect does not work and the Apple USB probe looses the USB device.

So far it seems that every time vmware tries to query/reconnect it messes up the OSX usb devices list that is connected to the system.

Have tried the directory rights and also some of the setting usb vid and pid values but no luck.

Have 4 usb devices that is acting up one with IOctl error ?? (it sends request out to ask for devices)

Running iMac(27-inch, Late 2009) and MacBook Pro(15-inch Early 2011) same on both.

Like i said still working on it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
XNS2011
Contributor
Contributor

My new out of the box Mac Mini core i7 has a USB problem too.

I am trying to use an SD card in the builtin slot. When I put it in, it shows up in Mac OS, but VMware doesn't see it.  I have:

1) checked "/" permissions

2) reinstalled VMware

3) reinstalled Lion (fixed other problems, not this)

4) rechecked "/"

5) turned on USB logging, plugged in the SD card.  Log attached.

All&all, no joy.  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Rreini
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same situation as you, jdoubleu72.  My permissions and ownership of / were correct, or appeared to be correct.  I did the chown and chmod commands, rebooted, and got my USB connectivity restored!  BTW, I'm running 10.7.1, Fusion 3.1.3 and Win7 32-bit.

0 Kudos
AtoZ201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Im running the same and regular drives like passport and thumb  works fine.

I also running USB scanner Onetouch 7400 and 3 USB to CAN dongles that does not work any more unless I plug them in and start VM.

It has to be something simple because I also tested with Parallel and it works with all. Also going to see what virtual box does.

0 Kudos
elsupremo
Contributor
Contributor

I was having USB problems with VMware 4 and Lion on my Macbook Pro. I did checked the permission and saw they were not standard and reset them as Aaron instructed and it fixed my issue. I can now connect USB devices (specifically my Canon printer) to my Windows 7 64 bit VM. Thank you!

(I use Hardware Growler and still several other devices supposedly connecting disconnecting when I connect the printer, including Facetime camera, Apple keyboard and a couple others.  But it doesn't seem like its actually doing anything and the USB works so I am happy!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
elsupremo
Contributor
Contributor

Just to follow up, the little glitch I mentioned about Hardware Growler showing other devices connecting/disconnecting when I plug USB devices into VM - this is just a glitch with Hardware Growler and happens in instances without Fusion running. After changing permission to standard, Fusion is running perfectly on my setup as far as I can tell.

Thank you again for the helpful advice!

0 Kudos
chemeddy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still having problems getting my VM to detect usb devices. Tried correcting permissions, and it still doesn't work. Any other solutions?

0 Kudos
coheteloco
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to let anyone still having this problem know that I ran a Repair Permissions from Disk Utility.app and it fixed it for me.

0 Kudos