VMware Communities
silentrunner
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Serial Port configuration

Hi all,

Im a running VMware on a Mac Book Pro and I would like to get some old DOS stuff witha serial connection running. The virtual machine is up and running so far, but I need a serial port to connect to the outside. As the Mac's do not provide serial port the elegant solution would be to use so kind of Ethernet to serial converters. This converter gives me simular to the Unix / Linux a file in the /dev/ directory ( usually ttyp1) . So far so good. As far as I can see this is working ok for me. My question now is : How do I link both ends together so that my DOS guest would see the converter as Com1.

Would it even work like this, or do I have to find  a work around.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums.  Your thread has been moved from VMware Knowledge Base to VMware Fusion® (for Mac)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

With any 3rd party device you use, you'll need to read its documentation and install drivers as necessary.  Other then that VMware Fusion can only pipe output form its Serial Port to a file.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Search > type serial then select Add a Parallel or a Serial Port

Also note that ThinPrint uses a Serial Port so you may need to account for this and or turn off Printer Sharing under Printers pane in the Virtual Machine Settings and uncheck the Enabled check box.

Also the following thread is old however it did work at the time and I haven't tried it lately.

Have a look at: Using virtual serial ports between two machines?

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos