VMware Communities
abillings
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion on Lion (OS X 10.7)?

When is VMware planning on shipping support for Lion, OS X 10.7.

There are reports (http://roaringapps.com/app:61#post-31) that it isn't working well for people at all on development seeds. There are also reports that Apple is going to release very soon.

It has been nearly six months since the last Fusion update. The vmware tools are out of date for Unix support. When can we expect an update to address these issues and OS X support?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
LMO201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Having said I've had no problems on Lion, I may have found one.  I've been chasing a problem for a few hours and discovered that python source files copied from OS X to a WinXP guest are being corrupted; the first part of the file looks OK, but the remainder is filled with nulls.  Yesterday I was copying files across without any issues, but today I'm unable to do a single copy without having the file corrupted.  I'll reboot everything and report back if that makes a difference.

After rebooting the host and guest I'm again able to copy files from the host to the guest without problems.

0 Kudos
BriarReed
Contributor
Contributor

Question to the development community - will the VM versions that supports Lion support Windows XP, or will it be limited to Win 7?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

will the VM versions that supports Lion support Windows XP, or will it be limited to Win 7?

Typically "VM" stand for "Virtual Machine" so asking 'will the Virtual Machine versions that supports Lion...' doesn't really make sense.

Now if what you're really trying to ask is will the version of VMware Fusion that is officially supported being installed under Lion will it still be able to create/run a Windows XP Virtual Machine then the answer is yes.

Now if that is not what you're asking then you'll need to rephrase the question in proper context.

0 Kudos
BriarReed
Contributor
Contributor

Thx - you answered the intent of my question

0 Kudos
Dryland
Contributor
Contributor

As others have detailed, I'm running Lion GM with VMWF without an issue. I tested on an external hard drive during all betas and it worked in each one. I'm now running on my production MBP. The one feature I would like to see added in the next VMWF update is to run as a true Apple full screen app.

0 Kudos
1TallTXn
Contributor
Contributor

Full screen would be nice (though VMWF seems to do a decent job of it already)

I'd like to be able to install Lion in a VM, and this time its allowed in the EULA.

0 Kudos
Dryland
Contributor
Contributor

Yes VMWF does handle full screen pretty well, but it doesn't get it's own dedicated space like apple full screen apps in Lion. This would be a nice feature for those of us that prefer full screen over Unity. Hopefully it makes it into the next update (perferably) or in VMWF 4.

0 Kudos
1TallTXn
Contributor
Contributor

Hadn't thought of that, yes, that would be nice.

0 Kudos
mswbull
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have read a number of posts stating that people have VMWF working on Lion GM. This has not been my experiance.

When trying to create a new guest VM (Windows 7 SP1) I receive an error stating the storage cannot be accessed, at this point it prompts for an additional driver.

When copying an existing VM (Windows 7 SP1) I get horrible performance and the VM is unusable.

Has anyone else experianced these issues? Are there any workarounds?

Cheers,

Matt.

0 Kudos
Dryland
Contributor
Contributor

Saw your post and realized I hadn't created any new VM's since upgrading to Lion GM. Just started the install of Windows 8 and it's going fine so far. Not sure why you're having issues. Some people have issues while others don't, not sure of the  commonality. Is your VMWF installation up to date?

0 Kudos
zwirwel
Contributor
Contributor

I realise we are all eager for Lion and some of us are quick to jump on the wagon, but sort of related to why vmware cannot comment on their status, I assume you who talk about running Lion are, as I am myself, a registered Mac Dev with the Apple Developer program?

If that is the case, I just very humbly remind you all that you are actually not allowed to openly discuss Lion, its build status etc regardless of whether you believe it is or should be common knowledge or not per the NDA you enter into as an ADC Mac dev member...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Openly discussing items under NDA whether it be VMware's product or some other software developer is prohibited.

I am locking the thread.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos