VMware Communities
haysbusa
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion Pro 12.0 vmware-vmx high cpu usage causing Mac to heat up constantly

• Model Name: MacBook Pro
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,3
  • Processor Name: Intel Core i7
  • CPU:1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • GPU:Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

VMWare Fusion Professional Version 12.0

when i install the vm fusion12 for using win8.1 Enterpeise 64-bit (Build 9600) .

I've seen in Activity Monitor that a process "vmware-vmx" is hanging a lot of CPU (about 100-300% when i'm in MacOS not use the virtual machine)and high heat with my Mac,

pastedImage_0.png

but when i swap to win8 OS in fusion cpu usage become normal(about 20% - 60%).

I got a Windows 8 Enterprise VM with dedicated/allocated 4 cores and 4GB RAM. I power-on the virtual machine and min later the fans are running very fast and Activity Monitor shows that vmware-vmx is using +100% CPU.

And I tried the method in the picture below,but no work for me ,is there any other solution?

pastedImage_2.png

Help please!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please start threads in the area for the product you are using.

Thread moved to the Fusion area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
haysbusa
Contributor
Contributor

What’s meaning of this

I’m totally noob of vm & fusion.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You started this thread in the wrong area of the VMTN forums, as a moderator I moved it to the Fusion area for you.

This document is a useful reference for how to use the VMTN forums: https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-12286

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your macbook pro can't be both using a intel Core i5 and an intel Core i7 processor Smiley Wink

Looking for your model it appears to be this one: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) - Technical Specifications

That says "Core i5" and the CPU has only 4 physical cores.

As such your VM having 4 cores is too much.

Drop it to 2 cores max.

The 4GB of RAM should be OK, provided you don't do much in your host OS, otherwise you have to reduce that too.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
haysbusa
Contributor
Contributor

thx u very much .

it's worked ,but the effect is not obvious. When I only use two cores, the temperature of the mac does drop but it is still hot. At the same time, I show in the fusion that my mac has 8 cores.

pastedImage_0.png

i thought that's this model bad heat dissipation , but improved my fan speed to 7200rpm (max rpm and only one fan ) the surface temperature of mac still heart and cpu core average always 176 οF - 195 οF .

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

At the same time, I show in the fusion that my mac has 8 cores.

Yeah I know, it is confusing.

VMware reports all available threads a 1 core, even if you only have 4 physical cores, it reports on the 8 hyperthreads.

For macOS being able to schedule properly it is usually best to leave 2 physical cores free.

By only scheduling 2 cores instead of 4 cores, there will always be 2 physical cores available, no matter how VMware ends up scheduling those cores.

This is why I tend to underprovision all my VMs and only scale those provisions up when the VM does not seem to be able to have enough CPU or memory.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos