VMware Communities
Steno77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Fusion 7 - in OSx 10.9 guest iTunes crashes every time after vmware tool is installed

Hello Community,

i'm having a problem with vmware tools.  Yesterday i did the upgrade from Fusion 6 to 7 Pro.

I have been installed Mavericks like as virtual machine.  My system (iMac Late2013) has Mavericks installed.

With vmware tools iTunes crash every time it's launched.

Without vmware tools iTunes works well.... but performance is very low (i cannot use shared folders etc)

Before upgrade to vmware fusion 7, I had fusion 6 and all works properly (i mean iTunes with vmware tools)

I use this machine with audio application and it's important for me to use iTunes inside the virtual machine.

Are there any "tricks" to solve this issue?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is ultimately a bug in iTunes that Apple should fix (so please click "Send to Apple" in that window), but it is important for use to discover what triggers it.

I suspect one important change we made to the guest graphics driver (inside the VMware Tools for OS X) between Fusion 6 and Fusion 7. To test this theory, please try the following experiments in your Mavericks VM:

o Experiment 1

In Terminal.app, run the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args='vmw_gfx_caps=0'

then restart the Mavericks guest. Does that make the problem go away? If not, move to experiment 2

o Experiment 2

sudo rm -rf {/System,}/Library/Extensions/VMwareGfx.kext

then restart the Mavericks guest. Does that make the problem go away?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is ultimately a bug in iTunes that Apple should fix (so please click "Send to Apple" in that window), but it is important for use to discover what triggers it.

I suspect one important change we made to the guest graphics driver (inside the VMware Tools for OS X) between Fusion 6 and Fusion 7. To test this theory, please try the following experiments in your Mavericks VM:

o Experiment 1

sudo nvram boot-args='vmw_gfx_caps=0'

then restart the Mavericks guest. Does that make the problem go away? If not, move to experiment 2

o Experiment 2

sudo rm -rf {/System,}/Library/Extensions/VMwareGfx.kext

then restart the Mavericks guest. Does that make the problem go away?

0 Kudos
Steno77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello HPReg,

Thanks for your solutions.

I tried solution 1 and it's good for my issue, now itunes never crashes!

What is the different between solution 1 and 2 ?

thanks a lot!

Stefano

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

> I tried solution 1 and it's good for my issue, now itunes never crashes!

OK it is good to know that we now know the cause of the problem. I'm going to file a bug so we can fix this internally.

> What is the different between solution 1 and 2 ?

Solution 1 essentially gives you the same graphics driver we had in Fusion 6: it lets you set arbitrary resolutions, but it is not accelerated.

Solution 2 removes the VMware driver, and gives you only a 1024x768 resolution, non accelerated.

0 Kudos