VMware Communities
Nanotechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Fusion 2.0 Drag and Drop Problem

I'm currently using Windows XP Professional on Vmware Fusion 2.0 (which, by the way, was a giant improvement for me) from the boot camp partition but when I tried to drag and drop the files it just wouldn't work. If I wanted to move a file from the VM to Mac OS X I could never get the file outside of the VMware Fusion Window (I was in the single window mode) and when I tried to move files from Mac OS X to the VM it wouldn't work either. I also don't want to create shared folders because I'm not moving a lot of files, just one or two occasionally. Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I tried to repair VMware Tools and I disabled all my sharing folders, restarted, but it still didn't work. Did it twice too.

Did you do a repair install or did you totally and completely uninstall VMware Tools and reboot the Virtual Machine twice allowing the hardware to be rectified by Windows and then install VMware Tools?

You need to completely uninstall not a repair install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sruggiero
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here...

0 Kudos
dcnicholls
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I installed Fusion 2.0 with XP yesterday, and initially saw the same problem, but with a few attempts (dragging over different sides of the XP window) I was able to drag the files to the Mac desktop. It seems to happen sporadically, but a few attempts to drag and drop seems to get it working. No clear pattern yet. Dragging the other way (to XP) didn't seem to be a problem, but it may just not have shown up for me yet.

So for me it appears to be intermittent.

DN

Nanotechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried dragging and dropping many times, and I've tried doing it from Mac OS X and from the Windows side but to no avail. However, the only thing that did work for me was putting it into a shared folder, but it was more cumbersome because I had to deposit the file into the folder and then close the folder and then open the folder on the mac side. It would be much easier to just drag and drop.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Drag and drop depends on VMware Tools, so if DnD doesn't work, this suggests something is wrong with Tools. One thing to try is uninstalling Tools, rebooting the guest once or twice to give Windows a chance to react, and install Tools.

0 Kudos
Nanotechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried to repair VMware Tools and I disabled all my sharing folders, restarted, but it still didn't work. Did it twice too.

0 Kudos
maverick808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here, I just can't get drag & drop to work despite reinstalling tools and restarting. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you do a repair install or did you totally and completely uninstall VMware Tools and reboot the Virtual Machine twice allowing the hardware to be rectified by Windows and then install VMware Tools?

You need to completely uninstall not a repair install.

0 Kudos
Nanotechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah I tried your solution and it worked. I uninstalled tools then reinstalled them. Then I thought that repairing and install/uninstall would have the same effect but apparently this was not so. Thank-you for all your help! I can drag and drop now.

0 Kudos
firedragon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried all proposed solutions with my Windows XP SP3 installation and nothing worked until I stumbled on following oddity. If I put the "Color quality" in the "Display Properties" Settings tab on my preferred "Medium (16 bit)" drag and drop DOES NOT work. If I put it on "Highest (32 bit)" drag and drop DOES work. These issues were not present in the Beta 2 release and were introduced in the RC1 release and are still present in the current 2.0 final release. I hope developers are reading about my experience on this glitch since the issue is not solved yet. I also hope this is useful to other users who try to tackle the problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, we're aware of the 32-bit color-required issue in 2.0. It'll be fixed in the next release of Fusion, sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
firedragon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi etung,

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wish you would have posted this 32 bit color-required issue earlier in the thread (besides the recommendation to reinstall vmware tools). That would have saved me and I think some other users some headaches trying to figure out what's going on since the 2.0 RC1 release. Having that said, thank you for the great work. You guys are awesome. Now if only opengl would be implemented so I can use compiz for my Ubuntu linux installation.... one can dream, right Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At the time we didn't know that using 32-bit color fixed it (it's kind of obscure), and this thread is marked as answered. The original poster didn't suffer from this - reinstalling Tools will not resolve the 32-bit color issue. FWIW I did note it in .

0 Kudos
erikweste
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having this drag and drop issue and I was still on a 1.3(?) version when I began having the problem and thought that the 2.01 update might help. I cannot pinpoint when it began possibly from an OS upgrade, but I have tried the tricks above (uninstall as well as the 32bit option) to no avail. Macbook Pro 2.2, 4gig ram, Leopard v10.5.6. Please let me know of any insight... this is my favorite part of VMware and have had absolutely 0 issues until now.

0 Kudos