VMware Communities
OmicronB
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare Fusion crash when using Altium designer

I have a consistent crash of VMWare Fusion 12.1.1 whenever I open a PCB document in Altium designer. The crash causes the VM to be shut down.

I see the following error report in mkSandBox.log:

moderator edit by wila: Moved pasted text to an attachment

28 Replies
MarkSif
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. Dropping back to Hardware Version 17 still caused Windows to totally crash. 

0 Kudos
jpostman
Contributor
Contributor

Adding to the choir - I am also experiencing this issue and have not found a workaround except to disable HW acceleration in the VM settings.

0 Kudos
BrunoFerreira78
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, 2D PCB view causes a crash unless 3D graphics acceleration is disabled.

0 Kudos
techydude71
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Min-Yu,

Have VMware filed a bug report (https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/) with Apple about this?  VMware are much more likely to get traction from Apple/AMD on this than us individual users.  This started with MacOS 11.3, and 11.4 apparently didn't fix it, despite the urgency of it for those who run Altium Designer in a VM.

I've got this failure too, happy to help with data on the crash if you need it.

Anthony.

0 Kudos
BrunoFerreira78
Contributor
Contributor

Usually I avoid using beta versions on my working machine, but since Altium Designer was unusable anyway I tried installing the beta version of macOS Monterey today and I was happily surprised that the problem no longer manifest.

I haven't tried compatibility with other software but if I encounter any incompatibility I will post here.

techydude71
Contributor
Contributor

That's really promising to hear, Bruno, thanks for letting us know that.

What's hopefully happened is that AMD have issued updated drivers, which are still under test, have been dropped into this beta version of MacOS (v12?), and that hopefully after some testing it will come out as an update to 11.x.

0 Kudos
Min-Yu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It seems that this has been fixed in both MacOS Big Sur 11.5 Beta 3 (20G5042c) and MacOS Monterey 12 beta (21A5248p).
Please wait for Apple's release announcements for MacOS Big Sur 11.5 GA and/or MacOS Monterey 12 GA.

0 Kudos
davidbitton
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that the crashing has stopped after upgrading macos from 11.4 to 11.5.1.

0 Kudos
techydude71
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed, it’s fixed for me in Big Sur 11.5.x.

0 Kudos